Verb vs. Predicate

Language learning: How to speak Toki Pona, translation problems, advice, memory aids, tools and methods to learn Toki Pona and other languages faster
Lingva lernado: Kiel paroli Tokiponon, tradukproblemoj, konsiloj, memoraj helpiloj, iloj kaj metodoj por pli rapide lerni Tokiponon kaj aliajn lingvojn
jan_Lope

Re: Verb vs. Predicate

Postby jan_Lope » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:00 am

jan Ne wrote:Her use of the terms adjective and verb in the book was probably to make it so that it's accessible to everyone, even people who haven't studied a lot of grammar.

jan Ne o, toki!

I think most people who deal with languages know about the difference between adjective and verb.

jan lape = sleep-person, sleeping person - "lape" is an adjective here.

ona li lape. = He is sleeping. - "lape" is an intransitive verb here.
(But it could also mean "It's sleep." - "lape" is an predicate noun here.)

BTW: As I have stressed several times, I keep as close as possible to the descriptions in pu and not to drafts in forum posts.
pona!
jan Lope
https://jan-lope.github.io
(Lessons and the Toki Pona Parser - A tool for spelling, grammar check and ambiguity check of Toki Pona)

On my foe list are the sockpuppets janKipo and janSilipu because of permanent spamming.

janTepanNetaPelin

Postby janTepanNetaPelin » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:01 am

jan Ne wrote:Her use of the terms adjective and verb in the book was probably to make it so that it's accessible to everyone, even people who haven't studied a lot of grammar.

Very likely.
https://github.com/stefichjo/toki-pona (mi sitelen e lipu ni pi toki pona)
mi jan Tepan. mi pu. mi weka e jan nasa Kipo e jan nasa Lope.

jan_Lope

Postby jan_Lope » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:40 am

janTepanNetaPelin wrote:

Very likely.

Those who do not deal with grammar will not be able to learn a foreign language well.

Anyone who talks about grammar in forums should have dealt with the basic grammar terms, for example with the parts of a sentence (subject phrase, predicate phrase, ...) and with the type of words (noun, pronouns, adjectives, verbs, auxiliary verbs, adverbs, ....).

Unfortunately Sonja did not always describe the grammar of Toki Pona clearly and exactly. This has led to a lot of confusion.
pona!
jan Lope
https://jan-lope.github.io
(Lessons and the Toki Pona Parser - A tool for spelling, grammar check and ambiguity check of Toki Pona)

On my foe list are the sockpuppets janKipo and janSilipu because of permanent spamming.

Return to “kama sona toki”