meli olin mi

Community: Meet and greet, introductions, networking, gatherings, events, what's new in your life?
Komunumo: Interkoniĝo, sinprezentoj, socia retumado, renkontiĝoj, eventoj, kio novas en via vivo?
jan-ante

Re: meli olin mi

Post by jan-ante »

janSilipu wrote:"keeps", "stop" for 'a wen' seems to be a mistake.
no, it is legal according to the tp dictionary. but it is a mistake to use awen as "distribute"
jan-ante

Post by jan-ante »

janMato wrote:jan Kipo is spot on.
it seems he is offline for a long time already
Oops, I confused "ma tomo" and "tomo mute" (building). Internally I'm thinking of city as "place of many building", so "ma tomo mute",
dont forget to use pi
mi lon ma tomo Awinton. en meli ni li lon ma tomo pi kasi suli mute Takoma. ma tu ni li poka sama.
be simple: ma tomo ona li (lon) poka (pi) ma tomo mi.
janMato

Post by janMato »

jan-ante wrote:
janMato wrote:jan Kipo is spot on.
it seems he is offline for a long time already
jan Silipu li jan Kipo. As administrator I verified that, although I didn't need to. I think jan Silipu is the account he uses on the iPad.

I concur on your corrections.
janMato

Post by janMato »

Who has claimed that awen means distribute? I'm not sure I understand. Oh, I'm thinking of a librarian in the sense of the Icelandic compound word:

bókavörður = book guard, defender of the books = librarian

but book distributor would make sense, too

meli li weka e lipu mute tawa jan pi ma tomo.
janSilipu

Post by janSilipu »

For some reason, maybe my regular thinking of it as putting out the trash, 'weka' feels wrong here. I prefer 'pana'
Someday I will learn how to turn off auto"correct". "subdivision" not "submission" (I wonder what I had typed to get that far off).
We still don't have a handy word for "park", which may be right , given the diversity of thinks called that name )not even counting towns). What is common between a quarter block of gravel and crabgrass and a rusty swing set and, say, Yosemite?
jan-ante

Post by jan-ante »

janMato wrote:bókavörður = book guard, defender of the books = librarian
before it was like this:
--------
vi stay, wait, remain
vt keep
mod remaining, stationary, permanent, sedentary
---------

now it is like that:
----------
describer :
unchanged, staying or continuing to be in the same state
not moving, staying in place; To continue to be in the same place; stay or stay behind:
to wait
to remain
to reside; to live in a place permanently or for an extended period; live
to sit?
safe; free from danger or harm
To be left after the removal, loss, passage of time, or destruction, use, consumption,

transitive verb :
to keep, protect, preserve, conserve
to save, keep, guard
---------

these two tokiponas are more different than russian and ukrainian languages. perhaps we should choose a new name for it. do you know by chance, what is describer?
janSilipu

Post by janSilipu »

They seem pretty much the same to me, except for "safe". They are all about inertia, staying the same in some respect.
janMato

Post by janMato »

maybe "late jan Sonja tp"? I hear Esperanto went through the same thing, where Zamenhof style Esperanto has peculiarities that the current eo community doesn't copy.

I think I've said it elsewhere, but I favor using contemporary linguistics jargon, the same that a field linguist might choose to describe syntax and part of speech that isn't all that alien. I'm kind of, almost sympathetic with lojban inventing completely new terminology for what does sort of have a corresponding conventional term, because lots of people on reading the lojban grammar report that it is a very alien communication system and has significant departures from anything seen before. Toki pona on the other hand, is a thoroughly human language, and even has characteristics predicted by parameter theory-- it doesn't fall all that far from English or French in syntactical features.

I'll continue to call adjectives either adjectives or modifiers and not "describers"
jan-ante

Post by jan-ante »

janSilipu wrote:They seem pretty much the same to me, except for "safe". They are all about inertia, staying the same in some respect.
not only "safe". "to save" is not related to inertia, also "to protect" "to guard" are rather "to screen, to separate from source of harm" than "to prevent all changes". but the most surprising thing is that the "describers" are now transalted as english verbs. so i really do not see what are "describers" actually for. in fact, any word could be considered as describer since it describes something.
and, coming back to jan Mato's friend, the librarian is not really related to inertia
jan-ante

Post by jan-ante »

janMato wrote:maybe "late jan Sonja tp"? I hear Esperanto went through the same thing, where Zamenhof style Esperanto has peculiarities that the current eo community doesn't copy.
well, in esperanto it took the decades, i.e. the time of generation change. in toki pona the "characteristic time" just covers the change of her mind