Toki Pona board/card game?

Creativity: Poetry, music, comics, etc.
Kreado: Poezio, muziko, bildrakontoj, ktp.
jan_kale

Toki Pona board/card game?

Post by jan_kale »

I'm no game designer, but I think this language would be perfect for an awesome game. Maybe even a translation of a simple game would work just as well.

I was just looking into the TP Hieroglyphs earlier today and thinking "I bet those could be used in a pretty awesome card game."

I'm just thinking out loud at this point, but the most beneficial thing to design might be a card system like the 52 poker deck. That way you could play many different games with it.

Or maybe we could look into what games more ancient civilizations played...

ideas?
janSilipu

Re: Toki Pona board/card game?

Post by janSilipu »

Sounds like fun and might be a useful teaching device (not that much is needed for such a simple language). But it is a bit hard to see how a card game,for example, would make use of tp's peculiar features. 120 words -- minus the purely functional ones -- would make about a double deck, so canasta and pinochle spring to mind (thoughinochle reduces the size of the decks used), but, again, I don't see where tp comes in. It might be good for an adventure game, though : tricky compounds to describe what you need to overcome the next obstacle, say.
jan_kale

Post by jan_kale »

For the card system, I was thinking more along the lines of the Tarot deck. Those decks included the Minor Arcana (basically our 52 card poker decks) and the Major Arcana (the characters).

If you actually read this wiki article about the early history of playing cards it will also help illustrate more of what I was thinking.

So, for example, maybe we use soweli, akesi, pipi, waso, kala, and jan as our suits. Then we use wan, tu, mute, and ali as our numbers. Then we make up characters for each suit like lili, musi, suli, utala, and lawa

That's a deck of 54 cards.

So maybe then the "numbered" cards would have faces on them depicting how many the card is.

Example for soweli: one wolf face, two wolf faces, 7 wolf faces, a ton of wolf faces

Then the "character" cards would have the creature with drawn accessories.

Example for soweli: baby wolf, big wolf, wolf with armor and scars, wolf with a crown on its head.

We could then use the glyphs designed by Jonathan Gabel to indicate the suits. They could be in opposite corners on the cards.

I'm just sort of brainstorming though. Thoughts on this?
Kuti

Post by Kuti »

http://t4.ulule.me/vox/1334/quel-jeu-so ... dro-2.jpeg
i invent cards games with Mille bornes cards. It has nothing to do with the original game, but it had about 100 cards.
I don't want to explaint the rules of my games because i change them so often and play alone.
I don't know what could be done with toki pona + cards. But it coul be interesting to do.
I like the idea!
jan_kale

Post by jan_kale »

Welp, it looks like someone beat me to the punch.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sar ... n-hanafuda

Those cards are pretty cool, but that is basically what I was trying to do with the Toki Pona glyphs. Too bad I'm not an artist :roll:
jan Kapiwe

Post by jan Kapiwe »

I saw this card game called Scrabble Slam http://bit.ly/wcGlxJ and the basic rules are:

-Game starts with a four letters word (each card is a word);
-On the player's turn he/she should replace one letter with a card in his/her hand (by putting it above the other card).

The rest doesn't matter, that is the principle. My thought is: as TP so simple, instead of letters there could be words in the cards (yeah, that would be a bigger deck...) and players could do text and stories instead of words. Some of the rules I thought about:

-In the beggining of the game each player plays a card until it forms a sentence with some sense.
-Cards can only be replaced if currently the entire sentence makes sense.
-Some uncommon words like "ko" or maybe "mun" can give player extra points OR no one actually wins the game, the objective is to collaboratively make fun stories. No winning or losing would make the game as simple and happy as Toki Pona itself :)

Any ideas on that? Remember, good ideas come from large groups.

jan mute li pali e sona pona mute. jan wan li pali e sona pona lili.

sona li kama tan kulupu pona
mi mute o musi!
Kuti

Post by Kuti »

ah like this TV game !
( with letters )
http://www.ina.fr/video/I11040309/tirag ... es.fr.html
It is an anagram game, you have letters and have to find the longest word. ( maybe this rule is not the best for toki pona )
But nowadays they do this game with computer, and don't use cards.
But there are several rules
jan Kapiwe

Post by jan Kapiwe »

Yes, I have heared of this anagram game, and maye we could extract its principle to the game I mentioned first. Maybe in the player's turn, one can:

If the sentence makes sense, player can do 1, 2, and 3.
I the sentence doesn't make sense, player can only do 1.

1. Add a card to the end of the sentence.
2. Replace a card. (like Scrabble Slam)
3. Rearrange the sentence without limits. (like in the TV show Countdown, the anagram game)

To do 2 or 3 the sentence must remain with sense, you can't just scramble the phrase to nonsense.

Also, if it is gramatically correct, a player can add the words "e", "li" and "pi" limitlessly in the end of the sentence in 1 and anywhere in 2 and 3, independently of the cards in the hand. With this rule, there won't be these grammatical words in the deck.

Also, you could consider playing Dvorak exclusively in TP.

Any other ideas? I think a game in tp would be awesome, but maybe it would work better if it is a computer game, so we don't have to worry about massive quantity of cards and we can play with people from other coutries, as soon as tp is spread all over the world.
mi mute o musi!
janSilipu

Post by janSilipu »

Did you mean, in your tp, that bigger groups have more good ideas (what you say) or that they have better ideas ('pi pona...)? Both are probably true and are related, but the English leaves the question open.
iulius

Post by iulius »

wow, a toki pona card game could be a very nice idea
There are "free games", games with creative commons license. Maybe we could use some of them to develop a toki pona game (arrrrrgh, forgive my english, please)