Toki!

Community: Meet and greet, introductions, networking, gatherings, events, what's new in your life?
Komunumo: Interkoniĝo, sinprezentoj, socia retumado, renkontiĝoj, eventoj, kio novas en via vivo?
janMato

Re: Toki!

Post by janMato »

janKipo wrote:tp has a word for "thank you" but none for "You're welcome" (or for "please").
jan li lawa pi tomo mute sama li wile lawa e tomo ni kepeken nasin sama.
One is the rule of their own home and must lead their household by their customs.

A particular speaker may not feel obliged to express "you're welcome" or "please", but it isn't the language that dictates that.

jan wan: ni li lili li pona tawa sina la olin meli mi o ken ala ken pana e pan suwi sike tawa mi?
If it is of no matter and if it pleases you, my dear, could you give me a cookie?
jan tu: ni li pan suwi sike tawa sina. o pan ni li pona tawa sina.
jan wan: mi pana e pona tawa sina tawa pan ni.
jan wan: pali mi la ni li ala.

The above exchange would be expected to vary depending on where you are, not by what language you are speaking. (And I suppose it would vary for cross culture conversation-- I suppose if one is speaking to someone that expect to hear the full set of politisms, it would be surprising to not hear it from them, regardless to what language they are using)
jan lipakek

Post by jan lipakek »

mi toki ante e toki pona sina tawa toki Inli.

ni li pan suwi sike tawa sina. o pan ni li pona tawa sina. = Here is a cookie for you. Do you like it?
mi pana e pona tawa sina tawa pan ni. = I appreciate it/thank you. sina ken toki e nimi ni tawa mi?
pali mi la ni li ala = you're welcome (my efforts are nothing)?
janMato

Post by janMato »

jan lipakek wrote:o pan ni li pona tawa sina.
"may this bread be good to you"

This is the tricky one-- if I remember correctly (not the normal state of affairs) there was some nit picking over giving orders to the inanimate.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1244&p=6264&hilit=genesis#p6264

The others look fine to me.
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

But happily this is not an order to an object but a wish about an object satisfying someone.
mi ante e toki sina tan toki pona tawa toki Inli (I think)
We can go on and on about the order of modifiers. This is perfectly clear and that is all that is really required.
"Do you like it " is 'ni li pona ala pona tawa sina?'
Again, probably 'sina ken ala ken toki e nimi ni tawa mi?" ken, by the way.
I'm not sure about 'pali mi la' here, but that is because so much about 'la' is just unclear at the moment. It does seem to fit in with one general idea about what goes on out there.