Lang-8

Language learning: How to speak Toki Pona, translation problems, advice, memory aids, tools and methods to learn Toki Pona and other languages faster
Lingva lernado: Kiel paroli Tokiponon, tradukproblemoj, konsiloj, memoraj helpiloj, iloj kaj metodoj por pli rapide lerni Tokiponon kaj aliajn lingvojn
leke

Lang-8

Post by leke »

Anyone heard of Lang-8 - http://lang-8.com ? It's a place where users can learn by writing stuff and get it corrected by native speakers. The forums here are good for what forums do, but could Lang-8 take care of documenting peoples ramblings better? Would it interest anyone to be a contributor of a TP group in Lang-8?
One benefit I could see is that TP would become more discoverable by other linguistics that use Lang-8 (it has a pretty big user base).

If anyone is interested, I guess the first step it to start a group. Then get the creators of the site to add TP as an official language.

Let me know what you think.
janMato

Re: Lang-8

Post by janMato »

leke wrote:Anyone heard of Lang-8 - http://lang-8.com ? It's a place where users can learn by writing stuff and get it corrected by native speakers. The forums here are good for what forums do, but could Lang-8 take care of documenting peoples ramblings better? Would it interest anyone to be a contributor of a TP group in Lang-8?
One benefit I could see is that TP would become more discoverable by other linguistics that use Lang-8 (it has a pretty big user base).

If anyone is interested, I guess the first step it to start a group. Then get the creators of the site to add TP as an official language.

Let me know what you think.
Looks like a wiki-- other users can correct. Personally, I don't learn much if someone corrects my text like a wiki because I didn't go through the motions of writing things the right way--I'd only go through the motions of reading it the right way.

It reminds me of Italki.com which supports 30 languages. At each of these sites the real kicker is if there will be a community organizer--someone that hangs out to keep the conversation going--otherwise it becomes just another dead forum. The #tokipona tag on twitter and tokipona page on 43 things, the facebook group are pretty quiet and tokilili and this forums are pretty active-- most of the difference has to do with where jan Kipo hangs out. The technical merits of the website is secondary by far.
aikidave

Re: Lang-8

Post by aikidave »

I have found that with this forum there are a number of experienced TP members who have been very helpful in correcting my TP posts. Why try something else, when this is working?

On the other hand, lang-8 could provide some additional publicity for TP.