How many hours to learn toki pona?

Language learning: How to speak Toki Pona, translation problems, advice, memory aids, tools and methods to learn Toki Pona and other languages faster
Lingva lernado: Kiel paroli Tokiponon, tradukproblemoj, konsiloj, memoraj helpiloj, iloj kaj metodoj por pli rapide lerni Tokiponon kaj aliajn lingvojn
janMato

How many hours to learn toki pona?

Post by janMato »

Right now we have a single data point- one person timed their study and it took 10 hours of study to get to the point where they could write a few paragraphs discussing their trip to the Czech (which then sparked a minor war on the forums, but that is another story) with fairly few errors and it was more or less understandable.

Can anyone else remember how how it took them to get to that level of proficiency?

For me it was way more than 10 hours because I frittered a way a good deal of the time I spent doing toki pona stuff also reading linguistics articles in wikipedia. In any case, it was spare time over a few months.
aikidave

Re: How many hours to learn toki pona?

Post by aikidave »

Looking back on my notes, it took me about 40 days to memorize all the words and make my way through jan Pie's lessons, repeating them as necessary, until I understood them. I spent on average, about 45 minutes per day studying toki pona, so that means it took me about 30 hours to 'learn' toki pona. (I was never any good at learning languages!)
I could write basic sentences at that point but the hardest thing for me, is reading and understanding toki pona text.
jan-ante

Post by jan-ante »

it took me 7 days to read the russian translation of jan Pije book. after that i did the following translation: http://jan-ante.livejournal.com/704.html
i would estimate 7hr<t<20hr
Kuti

Post by Kuti »

MESSAGE DELETED
Last edited by Kuti on Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mako

Post by Mako »

I'm not a good data point for this sort of thing because I have a tendency to learn enough to start and then jump in. I am, however, willing to be corrected publicly.
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

I really have no idea how long it took. I copied out the vocabulary for a paper I was writing and probably learned some of the vocal then. Some time later -- about a year, since I was working on the next paper -- I worked through the lessons in about a week, then hit the list. And i've been learning ever since, from reading and commenting on others' and others commenting on mine. If you don't mind look-ups, I think I wrote my first tp sentence the first day on the lessons (I already had the function words I my head) and got it right by the end of the week. And the second one right after a couple go-rounds on the list. So say three weeks to be fairly reliable.