Places to use toki pona

Language learning: How to speak Toki Pona, translation problems, advice, memory aids, tools and methods to learn Toki Pona and other languages faster
Lingva lernado: Kiel paroli Tokiponon, tradukproblemoj, konsiloj, memoraj helpiloj, iloj kaj metodoj por pli rapide lerni Tokiponon kaj aliajn lingvojn
janMato

Places to use toki pona

Post by janMato »

I'm making a list of the places where one can use toki pona, in particular place where one can make a toki pona utterance and some one will utter back.

(sorry no links, I'll try to post a version of this on my own blog with links someday)

Forums
here... of course. About 5 people regularly patrolling the posts, maybe 100+ drive by posters

Mini-blogging
tokilili.shoutem.com About 2-3 people regularly posting.
twitter.com, hash tag #tokipona. More active that I thought. 2 people with somewhat frequent posts, many people who post exactly one thing in toki pona, then nothing else. Helps to create a separate account because your regular friends don't want to see toki pona tweets. I'm user janMato

Wiki's
tokipona.wikia.com -- rather quiet recently, but used to be busy. Will it be so again?
wikipedia's toki pona talk page. Not the best place for general toki pona discussion, but talk there gets heard. This probably is the most public page for a toki pona message.
wikibooks. The wikipedia article is done. What the toki pona community should do is copy the Na'vi community and start work on the wikibook. The Na'vi article got so lon on wikipedia it was converted to a wiki book. I think this would be doable. The current toki pona wiki book is a stub of a lessons 1-12 format. I think this should be a linguistic grammar, similar to what a field linguist would write upon visiting a never before visited village in Papua New Guinea

To casually use a wiki, you can do a drive by reading or drive by edit. But you won't know of subsequent edits or responses without further configuration. To effectively use wikimedia stuff, you need to create an account, set up watch lists, and subscribe to the relevant recent changes RSS feeds.

Really quiet places with promise
43things.com -- The "Learn Toki Pona" page. I plan to use this as a sort of a public to-do list for my smaller toki pona related goals.
facebook.com -- For the life of me I can't figure out how to get updates from the toki pona page with out visiting it every day. Doesn't look like anyone else does either, it's very quiet there. I will never post toki pona status updates because almost all my facebook contacts I know in real life.
meetup.com 1 group and counting...
Posterous I haven't a clue how Posterous is supposed to work or be different from anything else.
http://lapingvino.posterous.com/lipu-posterous

Stuff that seems to have disappeared
Livejournal. It's a ghost town. (for toki pona related stuff) The community board doesn't seem to have a way to subscribe to it in RSS.
Blogs in general. Not many people kept up after the initial blog boom.
I think blogs are failing for conlang communities because blogging isn't the most direct way to get a response from the world. It's a great way to post stuff if you don't really care if anyone responds or not. If you do care about response, you have to go somewhere else.

Mailing lists. Well, good riddance I guess. The Na'vi boards are getting 1000-5000 posts every three months. If that was on a mailing list, no one could cope with it. Does anyone miss having a mailing list?

Am I forgetting anything?
Ose

Re: Places to use toki pona

Post by Ose »

Am I forgetting anything?
How about the IRC (irc.freenode.net #tokipona)? Usually there's not many there but you sometimes get conversations, and live TP conversations are fun.
mi ken kepeken e toki pona e toki Kinla e toki Inli
janMato

Post by janMato »

tempo pini la mi lon ilo Irc. mi kama sona e jan akesi ni: jan li wile utala kepeken nimi jaki. mi la ni li ike.

If I tried to post on this forum the stuff people can post in IRC, I'd get my messages wiped. I have used chat rooms twice, once in 1995 (not toki pona related) and once in 2010 (the toki pona irc) and both times they were cesspools of potty mouthed bad behavior. I will never, ever, ever, ever, ever use IRC again, I hope it dies an ignominious death of obsolescence.

Unmoderated chat is like inviting spammers to a birthday party. Similar problems have happened to 2nd life, where public events are attended by griefers and flying penis as well as the intended audiences.

waso pi palisa mije li ike tawa mi.

Skype shows some promise because you need to get moderators permission to join (as far as I can tell), and probably other invitation-only chat technologies.

ma toki pi len pi ilo nanpa li wile e jan lawa. ma li jo ala e lan lawa la jan akesi li kama.
Ose

Post by Ose »

Wow, I've never had such a bad experience in the TP irc, and have not been to many channels outside of that one. Usually it's dead quiet, sometimes one or two friendly jan pi toki pona. Once, jan Sonja and jan Pije were there talking about the Book. Maybe it's time zones or something. :D

jan akesi pi #tokipona li jan "Spam" anu seme? tenpo pini la mi pilin e ni: jan pi toki pona li wile ala toki jaki kepeken ilo IRC. :) .
janMato

Post by janMato »

Ose wrote:jan akesi pi #tokipona li jan "Spam" anu seme? tenpo pini la mi pilin e ni: jan pi toki pona li wile ala toki jaki kepeken ilo IRC. :) .
akesi = unpleasant animal. akesi, ike and jaki are the 3 negative words in toki pona where the classic definition directly implies the emotional weight of the word. The rest of the words like pali/pan/moku are neutral in the extreme.

jan akesi = person acting like an unpleasant animal
jan ike = already means enemy (opposite of jan pona), and secondarily means bad person.
jan jaki = closer to disagreeable slob. I don't actually know about the personal grooming habits of people who misbehave online.
janMato

Post by janMato »

Ose wrote:Once, jan Sonja and jan Pije were there talking about the Book.
ona tu suli li toki e seme tawa lipu mute?
Ose

Post by Ose »

janMato wrote:
Ose wrote:Once, jan Sonja and jan Pije were there talking about the Book.
ona tu suli li toki e seme tawa lipu mute?
This is probably over a year ago now, but they were talking about hex codes for colours (basically the sort of stuff that's here.
It's just the only time I remember seeing jan Sonja in the IRC.
jan Josan

Post by jan Josan »

I've seen Sonja on there several times, usually checking with jan Pije on his opinion on a grammar point. It's a shame you had such a bad experience there jan Mato. Some of my best toki pona practice has been using the chat room. Sometimes I've gotten pulled into political discussions in English I really didn't want to have, but for the most part I've had extended amicable conversations. It's the closest I've come to watching how toki pona works when it can be context-specific.
the skype account you are setting up, is that for video chat or typing chat?
janMato

Post by janMato »

jan Josan wrote:I've seen Sonja on there several times, usually checking with jan Pije on his opinion on a grammar point. It's a shame you had such a bad experience there jan Mato. Some of my best toki pona practice has been using the chat room.
I like IM and multiperson chat as technology, it's vastly superior to phone for things like IT desk support and collaborative sofware development. Getting the world to use it or use it well on the otherhand is a challenge-- I've worked with co-workers that I had to physically walk over to their desk and ask them to turn on IM every time I wanted to send them a message.
jan Josan wrote: Sometimes I've gotten pulled into political discussions in English I really didn't want to have, but for the most part I've had extended amicable conversations.
Yeah, never talk about sex, politics or religion at a cocktail party (awwww, but that the only fun thing to talk about!) On the other hand, for ever ten people I've amicably spoken with that diasgreed with me on everything, there's been one dick head, usually by email or comments on my blog that doesn't grasp the art of discussing things for which we can't expect everyone to agree about.
jan Josan wrote:the skype account you are setting up, is that for video chat or typing chat?
Skype chat, ironically is technologically based on IRC (many of the slash commands are the same). Skype only support video chat between 2 people. It supports conference calls of about two dozen people. Importantly, it supports moderator approval of new joiners, kick and kickban. Also, important for the toki pona corpus project, it supports keeping logs for 2 weeks, long enough for someone to extract the important bits. What Skype doesn't support is event scheduling and RSVPs, so I hope to convince some sliver of the world to sign up for meetup. Anyhow, I posted most of the idea here: http://tokipona.net/tp/