tempo musi pi jan mute pi sona sama

Toki Pona news: new website, upcoming book, announcements from the language's creator
Tokiponaj novaĵoj: nova TTT-ejo, venonta libro, aperonta libro, anoncoj de la kreinto de la lingvo
janMato

tempo musi pi jan mute pi sona sama

Post by janMato »

I know a good percent of people here are avid Esperantists. There will be an Esperanto Conference in Washington, DC where I live, May 28-31. I plan to go. I also plan to organize some sort of toki pona event-- either an hour meetup at a nearby cafe or a presentation at the conference--the former for sure, the later is a maybe. You are welcome to join the meetup group, too, especially if you think you'll be in DC for the conference.

Thank you for your attention.

jan mute o mi sona e ni: jan mute pi lon ni li jan pi toki Epalanto. tempo kama la tempo musi pi jan mute pi sona sama li kama tawa tomo mute mi. tempo musi li tan tempo pi mun L en suno MLTW tawa suno MLLW. mi wile tawa tawa ni. kin la mi wile pana e musi pi toki pona tawa jan. ken la musi li tawa tempo lili pi nanpa MMM. ken la mi pana e kama sona lon tempo musi pi toki Epalanto. mi sona ala. sina li kama pona tawa e ni: sina sitelen e nimi sina lon lipu "Meetup".

mi pilin e pona tawa pilin pi lukin sona sina.
Last edited by janMato on Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
janKipo

Re: tempo musi pi jan mute pi sona sama

Post by janKipo »

Given its history, Esperanto has been rather touchy about other languages at its meetings, but such meetups do occur fairly regularly -- tp got a good boost in Finland from an Esperanto group, for example. Still, I think getting a spot on the program is unlikely -- but worth a try. Good luck and have a good get togetehr. Try talking tp as much as you can, as the chance to do so are few and far between.
janMato

Re: tenpo musi pi jan mute pi sona sama

Post by janMato »

janKipo wrote:Given its history, Esperanto has been rather touchy about other languages at its meetings, but such meetups do occur fairly regularly -- tp got a good boost in Finland from an Esperanto group, for example. Still, I think getting a spot on the program is unlikely -- but worth a try. Good luck and have a good get togetehr. Try talking tp as much as you can, as the chance to do so are few and far between.
toki pona doesn't compete with Esperanto anymore than Esperanto competes with pig latin, C# or military hand signals.

It does raise the interesting question of what are the suitable domains for a constructed language, like toki pona. Right now the only domain I use it for is recreational linguistics-- solving puzzles like can the ultimate show down be translated into tp, I tend to write more tp than I read, an unusual state of affairs when I can't write any natural language other than English with any competency.

Tp is likely never to be used at church, the office, in the military, for talking to strangers on the streets at home. As for tourism, last time I was in Europe trying to talk to random on the street, people try the national language first, German or English second. The odds of the other person speaking Lithuanian or Dutch would be better than the odds of them knowing Esperanto, and no one asked if I knew Esperanto. The odds of tp replacing Esperanto are nil, so I think the Esperanto community shouldn't fear it (or any other conlang with different goals).

Tp could be used at home I suppose with the right housemates. I'll have to work out how to say "Did you do your home work?" and "Dinner time!" and "Please set the internet radio recorder to start recording that french radio station at 4AM for two hours a day Monday through Friday." and "Who used up all the hot water again?
Last edited by janMato on Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
janKipo

Re: tempo musi pi jan mute pi sona sama

Post by janKipo »

Esperantist tend to think that all conlangs are really auxlangs waiting to attack, a paranoia coming from Eo's early history (when it was basically true). As for what to do with conlangs, just about everything gets tried. Sonja seems to be into therapeutics with tp, and a kind of meditational practice. That's cool. Someone else is working on incorprating it into a conworld (I suspect more than one is). Others are fiddling with the questions of how much of real world experience can be accommodated with just tp (or tp extended with numbers). And so on. I know languages which exist only to be written in clever calligraphies. And a large number which exist only because someone wanted to see how such and such features might work together. Most of these are one-user languages for now -- or maybe two or so. A few catch a fan base and then get applied in any number of ways, regardless of the original intent. If you come up with ways to use conlangs, do let me know, as I am making lists and criteria all the time, trying to organize this whole field in my head -- and perhaps someday i print.