Word Idea For Triangle - Sanku

Tinkerers Anonymous: Some people can't help making changes to "fix" Toki Pona. This is a playground for their ideas.
Tokiponidistoj: Iuj homoj nepre volas fari ŝanĝojn por "ripari" Tokiponon. Jen ludejo por iliaj ideoj.
jan Son

Word Idea For Triangle - Sanku

Post by jan Son »

Sanku comes from the georgian სამკუთხედი (samk'utkhedi).
The reason it is based of georgian is because "ku" sounds like how slavic languages refer to shapes, and also sounds very similar to the major east asian languages refer to triangles.
A possible sitelen pona symbol would be 2 triangles in one another.
Reasons why this word would be useful would be to describe the colour glyphs and it could also be to be used to describe other more easily.
janKipo

Re: Word Idea For Triangle - Sanku

Post by janKipo »

Nice reasoning but it is not clear that we need a word for triangles at the basic level. Surely ‘ijo (or ‘sijelo' or some such word) pi poki si (tu wan)’ would do for those rare occasions when we need the word.
jan Son

Post by jan Son »

Well we already have sike and leko, I'm not sure what other uses sanku could have though, but I still think it would fit in good. After all if we go off your idea then we don't need leko or sike because you could describe any shape with simpler terms.
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

Well, ‘sike’ is hard to do in a compact form. ‘Leko’ is slightly easier but isn’t a real tp word. Both of these have a fair number of other uses as well. But then ‘sanku’ could function for “wedge” and “slope” and probably several other things if it were introduced. So the basic problem is just that tp has a restricted vocabulary and no one is prepared to expand I.
jan Son

Post by jan Son »

I honestly think we need to stop with trying to keep it at 120. "pu" is such an uneeded word, "esun" (in my opinion) could do with some revamping, and the kulupu already uses words that lipu pi toki pona (pu) says don't really count as words. Of course keeping it simple is great and I want to help it stay that way, but sometimes it just gets too far. Like when I tried proposing a word for complicated so we could talk about something that is complicated but without saying it is done in an "ike nasin". We really have to lower this devotion to lipu pi toki pona (pu) like it's a bible.
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

Preaching to the choir. But the minimalism remains as defining tp. So, adding a new word takes some arguing, though I don’t know just who you have to convince. Most efforts have failed, as have most arguments to get rid of words, which ought to be easier. Good luck!
jan Son

Post by jan Son »

At this point I think I should give up on toki pona and just stop procrastinating at making my own relatively simplistic language.
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

Time spent with tpis not wasted. It is clearly the most successful small language so you can learn a lot about what works (in general, not particular items, perhaps). On the other hand, it has many flaws (often in particular, but also in general) so that you can get an idea what to avoid. One thing that springs to mind because of your work here is the need to get some system to the vocabulary, which is pretty damned random in tp and leaves great gaps in practical and experiential areas. On the other hand, the totally systematic languages have mainly died aborning, so some variety is called for. Good concept maps (distributional semantics) for any language might well be useful.
jan Seloki

Post by jan Seloki »

jan Son wrote:I honestly think we need to stop with trying to keep it at 120. "pu" is such an uneeded word, "esun" (in my opinion) could do with some revamping, and the kulupu already uses words that lipu pi toki pona (pu) says don't really count as words. Of course keeping it simple is great and I want to help it stay that way, but sometimes it just gets too far. Like when I tried proposing a word for complicated so we could talk about something that is complicated but without saying it is done in an "ike nasin". We really have to lower this devotion to lipu pi toki pona (pu) like it's a bible.

I completely agree Jan Son, but unfortunately many tokiponists are extreme minimalists so don't expect anything to come of it. Many of them have the same thinking as Jan Sonja & view adding even one word as the end of the world. By the way 'leko' did use to be a "real" word. It was just removed. So was 'apeja' (to expose), 'pake' (to block), & 'monsuta' (fear/monster). Many people still use some of them, especially monsuta. I still say toki pona needs a basic 1-10 & 0 number system as well as days/months. Days/Months don't have to be new words. Just an easy logical compound system. I don't revel in the idea of much of what I say/write in tp being impossible for anybody else (let alone me a day later) to understand because of ambiguity in the name of "minimalism". That's insane. I think there can be a happy medium between what toki pona is now & something like Esperanto. I'm not expecting this to be a clone of Esperanto at all but many people are WAY too obsessed with keeping tp at no more than ~120 words as though as soon as it goes over that it will trigger the apocalypse or something. Some people even try to combine words that are absolutely not the same idea like 'a' (exclamation word) & 'kin' (adds emphasis to word before it). For example "pona a!" is like saying "good!", but "pona kin" is more like "really good". They are clearly not the same meaning but some are determined to ignore that in favor of keeping the vocabulary small. 'sin' & 'namako' are not quite the same thing as I understand them, & would prefer to keep them as seperate words but at least they're are basically the same thing.
人り有え人上ら人り要物無。
ین لی یۆ إ ین سوی لا ین لی ئولی أۆ إ ئیو ألا
.ין לי יו א ין סוי לה ין לי וילה ייו אלה
ܝܲܢ ܠܝܼ ܝܘܿ ܥܹ ܝܲܢ ܣܹܘܝܼ ܠܲܐ ܝܲܢ ܠܝܼ ܘܝܼܠܹܥ ܝܼܝܘܿ ܐܲܠܲܐ.
ญนํลีโญเอะญนํเศะวีลญนํลีวีเละอีโญอล.
jan Son

Post by jan Son »

Idea for another definition of Sanku, spiky or sharp, by having this you can describe alot more things which were previously impossible.