sitelen sitelen emoji?

Signs and symbols: Writing systems (hieroglyphs, nail writing) and Signed Toki Pona; unofficial scripts too
Signoj kaj simboloj: Skribsistemoj (hieroglifoj, ungoskribado) kaj la Tokipona Signolingvo; ankaŭ por neoficialaj skribsistemoj
Baerdric

sitelen sitelen emoji?

Post by Baerdric »

I know it's not supposed to be linear, but emoji could be cool. I see some emoji creators but I have never tried to use them or add emoji libraries to my keyboard. I wouldn't know where to start, but I would be happy to do the tedious parts if it would help. I'm not doing anything else...
I answer to jan Linja Sinpin Loje but you can call me jan Loje
janKipo

Re: sitelen sitelen emoji?

Post by janKipo »

Emojis aren't themselves very useful as a source of logoglyphs for tp, since most tp words are not things easily shown in faces or in metaphors for them. But, of course, small pictures would do fairly well. (I admit that I have not looked lately at what is available in the catalogs.)
I personally have no interest in the various non-phonetic (or even non-Latin) writing systems. Learning a new language is hard enough without added periphery which is besides, not instead of, Latin writing.
Baerdric

Post by Baerdric »

I meant to suggest making new emoji images out of the mayan-like shapes of sitelen sitelen (is that the proper name?) so that they could be accessed in keyboards as if they were emoji. Looking a little further it looks like some phone apps can do it, but I haven't actually started trying yet.

I really love those shapes and plan to make some stackable ones of three sizes out of sculpey or something. I've learned almost all of the word glyphs since friday and that means I also learned all of the vocabulary with them. What a great tool Memrise is for that too, BTW.

But I'm sure everyone has had enough newcomer enthusiasm by now.
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

There is never too much newby enthusiasm. To be sure, I like it better when it is directed a creating new texts in tp, rather than mastering arcana, but I know that arcana has its fascinations which can lead to deeper use of tp. (I did use to teach Esoteric Philosophy, after all, as a way to get people into regular philosophy and (gasp!) Logic). Do pursue sitelen sitelen (yes, its usual name) and master the art of scrunching all the glyphs into impenetrable lumps (not really a prejudicial characterization!). But then turn that art into creative writing (with Latin transcriptions for hoi polloi). tawa pona!
Baerdric

Post by Baerdric »

Already have a project in mind!8-)

While I have you on the line, is there a place with a more in depth discussion (in English) of the simplicity philosophy (other than full Buddhism) that informs the words and grammar of toki pona?
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

Not really in any one place, though there are fragments here and there throughout jan Sonja's (few) writings and jan Pije's and various others. The best guess is that a casual acquaintance with the idea of Daoism was a part of the inspiration for tp: simplicity, limited resources, etc. Any attempt to find connections between the details of Daoism as a developed philosophy (or even the aphorisms of Laozi and Zhuangzi) and any details of tp vocabulary or grammar seem bound to failure. Daoism is, after all, a mystical system, which tends to place all problems on the lap of language: "once you call something good, evil exists" and so on. So using it as a framework for a language is at least counterintuitive and probably heretical. But the connnection does get a lot of people to read the DDJ and occasionally gets a DDJ reader to try tp, neither bad things.
Baerdric

Post by Baerdric »

Ah, perhaps I will ask some questions when my vocabulary starts forming itself into sentences...

Thanks for your comments, I see that you contribute a large amount here. Hopefully I will be able to read some of it fairly soon, now that I know the root words.
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

On the forums, I am mainly English (probably on Facebook toki pona and tomo lipu, too), more tp on toki pona taso, naturally, and on the blogspots, tpnimi.blogspot.com and tomolipu.blogspot.com, though a lot of English on the first, not even counting the dictionary on the pages sections.
Baerdric

Post by Baerdric »

Well, by briefly foraging around in the emoji creation apps, I've decided that it's not the way for me to do this. Maybe later, but not now. It's still possible to make an emoji set from these images, but not for me, not on a chromebook, and not on my tablet.
jan-suwate

Post by jan-suwate »

mi pali e lipu sona pi sitelen Emosi:
https://lingojam.com/emojian
sina jo e sona e ante la o toki e mi!