oko

Language learning: How to speak Toki Pona, translation problems, advice, memory aids, tools and methods to learn Toki Pona and other languages faster
Lingva lernado: Kiel paroli Tokiponon, tradukproblemoj, konsiloj, memoraj helpiloj, iloj kaj metodoj por pli rapide lerni Tokiponon kaj aliajn lingvojn
jan Nowo

oko

Post by jan Nowo »

I would like to suggest another meaning for "oko", namely supervise, check etc.

mi oko e oko mi. ona li pona. I checked my eye. It is all right.

A beautiful symetrical sentence, isn't it.

I already added vt order, command to Tokiponian-Slovak dictionary, so let us see if the usage will hold. It depends on how many Slovaks are learning the language;).

As a noun:

ona li oko lawa pi kupulu olin. She is a director of the supervisory board of the foundation. Pretty compact, right?
You do not often find a sentence in tp, whose translation is longer than the original.

Norbert
janKipo

Re: oko

Post by janKipo »

Unlike using 'o' as a verb, this one seems totally natural; indeed, I was surprised it had not turned up before as the applicative verbalization "apply eyes to". Of course, I get suspicious of calqueing, but since this works in both English and Slovak. it has a claim to common human stockpiles.
jan

Post by jan »

What is the reason to have the verb "lukin" if we can use "oko" as a verb with same meaning ?
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

Fair question, to which there is no reasoned answer, just a retelling of the history of selecting words and the growth of the derivational processes within the language. 'ilo' and 'kepeken' are similarly close to matching and there are probably others. Notice all the other sense organs lack separate names, as do most of the senses. I think that in at least one draft leading up to pu, 'oko' was dropped for 'sike lukin'. Nowo's use of 'oko' does differ fro 'lukin' in having a more active sense of supervision, of watching not merely seeing, and so on.
janSepo

Post by janSepo »

I like the idea. "oko" could also mean "plan", "consider" in addition.
janTepanNetaPelin

Post by janTepanNetaPelin »

janSepo wrote:I like the idea. "oko" could also mean "plan", "consider" in addition.
P.S.: I changed my name to jan Tepan.
https://github.com/stefichjo/toki-pona (mi sitelen e lipu ni pi toki pona)
mi jan Tepan. mi pu. mi weka e jan nasa Kipo e jan nasa Lope.
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

Thanks. What is the 'NetaPelin', which does not obviously connect to "Schneider" ('kipisi len')?