Is monsuta an official word?

Language learning: How to speak Toki Pona, translation problems, advice, memory aids, tools and methods to learn Toki Pona and other languages faster
Lingva lernado: Kiel paroli Tokiponon, tradukproblemoj, konsiloj, memoraj helpiloj, iloj kaj metodoj por pli rapide lerni Tokiponon kaj aliajn lingvojn
Pali Pi Sona Kiwen

Is monsuta an official word?

Post by Pali Pi Sona Kiwen »

Is monsuta an official Toki Pona word? I have seen it in multiple places, but it is not on the online word list, nor in the book. Does anybody know?
wile sona li mute e sona.

La menso estas kiel paraŝuto , ĝi nur funkcias se vi malfermas ĝin.

Si hoc legere scis, nimium eruditionis habes.
janKipo

Re: Is monsuta an official word?

Post by janKipo »

Depends on what you mean by "official"; tp has no governing body, unlike Esperanto or the Loglans. Sonja, the Mother of tp and so a voice to be counted heavily, has abandoned 'monsuto', On the other hand, there is a considerable amount of usage (some a bit confusing) from the past, which has to be given serious consideration, and some people are still using it. I think the practical advice is to know what it means and how it is used, so that you can deal with it when it occurs. Whether you use it yourself or not is up to you, with very little cost either way.
JanKanle

Post by JanKanle »

What does that mean? I'm a very new speaker and I have never heard of that word
jan Same

Post by jan Same »

"Monsuta" means Monster.
It's used a lot, but it's not really an official word.
If toki pona was used in a real country, I always imagine it would be used by teenagers as a cool word :)
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

Well. maybe not, since oldsters understand and use it as well. The point ius that, officially official or not, it is used and understood (more orless) by the community, so you should know it.