Duolingo Proposal

Community: Meet and greet, introductions, networking, gatherings, events, what's new in your life?
Komunumo: Interkoniĝo, sinprezentoj, socia retumado, renkontiĝoj, eventoj, kio novas en via vivo?
jan pali pi jan Jesu

Duolingo Proposal

Post by jan pali pi jan Jesu »

A while ago a person on Duolingo (Really good website for interactive language learning) suggested that a course be made teaching English from Toki Pona. I think this is a great idea and i was wondering if ya'll wanted to collaborate on making that course. If just two or so people sign up they probably will not consider it, but if we get maybe 5 or so people to sign up then we might actually get this course added.
jan Wut

Re: Duolingo Proposal

Post by jan Wut »

I submitted for this course yesterday as well and someone on the fb group said they'd done the same (unless sina li ona). Some of the languages on the incubator only have two or three contributors so that shouldn't be a problem and they've added esperanto and klingon so conlangs are a-ok. I did worry a little that the english translation of my toki pona submission came across as a little awkward (as english transations of texts originally in toki pona tend to be) and that might harm my chances at being selected...
jan Pinsen

Post by jan Pinsen »

This is one of those things where I'm interested in principle, but I don't know if I will be able to contribute very much due to time constraints. However, I would be happy to sign up, and do what I can if and when it gets off the ground.
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

I think the idea of tp as a gateway language is more that the experience of learning one language makes learning the next easier, not that learning English, say, from a tp textbook would be easier than from a textbook in your L1. In fact, of course, tp is badly set up for that purpose, lacking a convenient vocabulary for just about anything important in English: tense, gender, agreement, parts of speech, passives, and so on forever. The best you could do is put up a number of tp sentences and reasonably literal and literate English translation. Since tp does not do reductions at all well, if at all, this would show how various sorts of English reductions work, and that is an enormous part of English. The unreduced stuff is pretty much the same but English runs its NPs backwards.
jan pali pi jan Jesu

I want to sign up in the incubator but i am not "fluent" in toki pona :( Hopefully soon I can.
As for teaching things like gender and number, we could have a lesson maybe called "mije/meli" and "nanpa mute en nanpa lili" then give a bunch of examples that would teach the ideas through repetition. It might be easier to construct such a course with two or three sentences in TP then one sentence in Eng.
One problem that i can see arising from a TP > Eng course is that the "Proper" translation vary and so we would have to restrict it to more literal translations.
Pali Pi Sona Kiwen

Post by Pali Pi Sona Kiwen »

I sent in a proposal, as well. I have not yet received an email in response, however.
wile sona li mute e sona.

La menso estas kiel paraŝuto , ĝi nur funkcias se vi malfermas ĝin.

Si hoc legere scis, nimium eruditionis habes.
jan pali pi jan Jesu

Pali Pi Sona Kiwen wrote:I sent in a proposal, as well. I have not yet received an email in response, however.
pona! mi jo e pilin ike tan ni: mi li ken ala toki pona mute e toki pona : ( tan ni la mi ken ala sitelin e nimi mi. mi wile e ni: mi ken toki e ni: mi ken toki pona mute e toki pona. tenpo ni la mi kama sona e toki ante mute. tan ni la mi ken ala pana e tenpo mute tawa kama sona e toki pona. mi wile sona e ni: tenpo seme la ona li jan pi toki pona mute?

(I used "toki pona mute" to mean something like "speak fluently")
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

arguably, 'toki pi pona mute', 'toki kepeken/ lon toki pona', not 'toki e toki pona', 'kama sona pi toki pona' (noun, not verb) I suppose you mean "When is someone a competent/ expert toki ponist?" 'tenpo seme la jan li jan sona pi toki pona' You are well on the way.
jan pali pi jan Jesu

janKipo wrote:arguably, 'toki pi pona mute', 'toki kepeken/ lon toki pona', not 'toki e toki pona', 'kama sona pi toki pona' (noun, not verb) I suppose you mean "When is someone a competent/ expert toki ponist?" 'tenpo seme la jan li jan sona pi toki pona' You are well on the way.
kama pona. mi ken pali e seme tan ni: mi ken kepeken e toki pona?
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

sina ken pali e ni kepeken toki pona: sina pali e ni kepeken toki Inli. kepeken toki pona (no e)