The book is on its way! :D

Toki Pona news: new website, upcoming book, announcements from the language's creator
Tokiponaj novaĵoj: nova TTT-ejo, venonta libro, aperonta libro, anoncoj de la kreinto de la lingvo
jan Kapiwe

The book is on its way! :D

Post by jan Kapiwe »

Sorry if someone else has posted this. But hey...

http://tokipona.org

The book is 36% complete! :D
mi mute o musi!
Kuti

Re: The book is on its way! :D

Post by Kuti »

Code: Select all

08|21:04:29| * Sonja (~Sonja@24.52.206.81) has joined #tokipona
00|21:04:44| <Kuti> toki
|21:05:06| <Sonja> toki!
|21:05:15| <Sonja> 32%
|21:05:19| <Sonja> http://tokipona.org
|21:05:23| <Sonja> :-S
00|21:05:39| <Kuti> nanpa ni li suli
tenpo suno tu pini la ona li toki e nanpa ante.
ona li pali e lipu. ale li pona !
jan_Anti

Post by jan_Anti »

janSonja wrote:Total Percent Complete 36%
Toki Pona hieroglyphs 85% :o
nasin sitelen "Toki Pona hieroglyphs" li nasin pi sitelen sitelen pi tan jan JonathanGabel (nimi ona pi toki pona li seme?) anu nasin ante?
janKalepa

Post by janKalepa »

38% and 100% for hieroglyphs. Which ones, can't wait to know.
janSilipu

Post by janSilipu »

Can think of things I would rather see at 100% than hieroglyphs (which are at best a frill).
janKalepa

Post by janKalepa »

janSilipu wrote:Can think of things I would rather see at 100% than hieroglyphs (which are at best a frill).

The specimen is available now. Looks nice. It's not sitelwn sitelen, something other.
jan_Anti

Post by jan_Anti »

If it's just gonna be one pictogram for every word, written one after the other, I must admit I am a bit disappointed. I was hoping (but not expecting TBH) for something a bit more elaborate, maybe not like sitelen sitelen, but more like Chinese characters, where all the pictograms are composed of a closed number of basic units, rather than just random drawings. Having the devil symbolize 'mani' is just ... (Unless it's supposed to be a bull head or something.)
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

Yes, pretty insipid. I suppose it is supposed to be iconic, but that never really works (one culture's icons are another's blobs). I do suppose that the 'mani' sign is a bull or some such, since 'mani' basically means "cattle, herd animals as wealth". The other signs range from the obvious (to us) to the obscure (but what would be an obvious 'li'?) to the easily misleading. Frankly, I hope this does not end up in the book. I suppose the hope would be that artistic types would build on this base to something more pleasing, but this will surely not supplant the Latin alphabet for presenting tp (and hardly seems worth the effort at all, except to have something 100% done).
janKalepa

Post by janKalepa »

janKipo wrote:Yes, pretty insipid. I suppose it is supposed to be iconic, but that never really works (one culture's icons are another's blobs). I do suppose that the 'mani' sign is a bull or some such, since 'mani' basically means "cattle, herd animals as wealth". The other signs range from the obvious (to us) to the obscure (but what would be an obvious 'li'?) to the easily misleading. Frankly, I hope this does not end up in the book. I suppose the hope would be that artistic types would build on this base to something more pleasing, but this will surely not supplant the Latin alphabet for presenting tp (and hardly seems worth the effort at all, except to have something 100% done).
sitelen sitelen li pona tawa mi. lipu mute pi toki pona li weka ala e sitelen ante :-) jan li ken kepeken e sitelen ni: sitelen li pona tawa ona.

tenpo pini la mi lukin e sitelen sama. ken la jan Sonja li pali ala e sitelen ni. ken la jan ante li pali ni.

[Edited]
Last edited by janKalepa on Tue May 21, 2013 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

weka ala e sitelen; sitelen li pona; jan Sonja li pali; jan ante li pali.