Need to uniformize the forums and wiki

Toki Pona news: new website, upcoming book, announcements from the language's creator
Tokiponaj novaĵoj: nova TTT-ejo, venonta libro, aperonta libro, anoncoj de la kreinto de la lingvo
Sonja

Need to uniformize the forums and wiki

Post by Sonja »

I still need to retheme the wiki and forums so they have a consistent look, feel and navigation. If anyone has any ideas or wants to play around with the themes and skins, let me know.
jan Kapiwe

Re: Need to uniformize the forums and wiki

Post by jan Kapiwe »

Hey! One thing you could do is answering our topics in the forum!
mi mute o musi!
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

While that would be nice, it may also be problematic. Jan Sonja does not appear to have been following discussions, so her interventions might be either irrelevant or unwelcome to those using the present state of the language.
jan Kapiwe

Post by jan Kapiwe »

Yes, but we need more info about what's being done about toki pona. The official website is not up to date, an official TP blog would be great. Of course, if that's Sonja's will. =D
mi mute o musi!
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

tp seems to be doing OK without Sonja -- not as well, perhaps, as it would be with her, but she has a life to live and finance. In the meantime, join the active folks here and do what can be done on our own. It would be nice to know what 'pu' is, though.
Kuti

Post by Kuti »

Maybe the question about the mysterious sense of pu is something made to entertain us until she comes back :lol: :mrgreen: ^^"
jan Kapiwe

Post by jan Kapiwe »

My theory: pu is a variation of po, which used to meant "four". One thing I know: when the TP book gets released, no one will ever have any doubt, it will be the final version of TP.
mi mute o musi!
janSilipu

Post by janSilipu »

If I had a nickel forever final version of a conlang, I would be wealthy indeed. At best the book will catch up to the state a little before the book was published. Then it will go on in its own way. The final version is always paleoglottology and, if that report of a dead language catches on, the language will change some more (cf. Volapük).
janMato

Post by janMato »

I suppose field linguists have the same problem. In the last few hundred years of documenting rare & endangered languages, most languages started out with significant regional variations, which have been rapidly disappearing, and sometimes the whole language. So reference grammars of any language would be a snapshot in time of actual use, or in the case of conlangs, a snapsot in time of a creators ideas at the moment.

I think Volapuk had only one native speaker. If it hadn't played such a significant role in the history of Esperanto, I think everyone would have forgotten about it by now.
janSilipu

Post by janSilipu »

I don't think V had native speakers, but it had a number of speakers before Eo came along and quite a few even after that. Carnap learned it at gymnasium or maybe college, so around WWI. And there has been some revival in the last couple of years (I gather sound a dozen people identifiable).