Is It Just Me...

Discuss any other topic in here.
Diskutu ĉiujn aliajn temojn ĉi tie.
jan Akesimun

Is It Just Me...

Post by jan Akesimun »

Or does toki pona seem to be pretty much abandoned?
Yo estuve aquí.
janKipo

Re: Is It Just Me...

Post by janKipo »

By whom? To be sure, Sonja has not said anything in public for a long time and Pije even longer, and some other early luminaries have faded, but the production of tp text and commentary, the off-line projects to document tp and to prepare lessons and other teaching/learning aids continue at an undiminished -- probably increased -- rate. I don't suppose we are totally self-supporting community yet (we rely a lot on tokipona.org. for example), but we are making the right sort of moves. We need more (some) face-to-face time to develop more personal relations and, eventually, an organization in a formal sense, but those are in the future, as they quite rightly should be. So, "No"
janMato

Post by janMato »

Toki pona conversations are on going on the forums, tokilili, twitter and a little bit on facebook. There usually is someone on IRC, but I wouldn't know, I don't like IRC. The active community keeps moving to the latest fad social network. For example, if you were to look at livejournal, you'd think both toki pona and English were abandoned languages, given the drop off in the usage of both of those languages there.

The output (text, projects, etc) of the community has dwarfed jan Sonja's output for the last 8 years. Short of a protracted recession in Canada with high unemployment rates, I don't see jan Sonja jumping back into conlanging. (But that is just pessimism, I don't have any thing else to support that)

Compared to Na'vi & Klingon, toki pona is small potatoes.

My guestimate is that there have been 50-100 people who have invested non-trivial time into toki pona, over the last decade and at any one time there is five to ten people who are actively doing something in toki pona.

tenpo ale la sin li lili lon ma pi toki pona. Every day is a slow news day.
Kuti

Post by Kuti »

Time to time there are people on IRC ;)
jan Akesimun

Post by jan Akesimun »

Why exactly did jan Sonja stop being involved in the community again? I never was quite clear..

Or jan Pije, come to think of it? He was fun to debate in IRC.
Yo estuve aquí.
janMato

Post by janMato »

She got a job according to her linked in profile, that put the book back on hold. jan Pije is a working pharmacist now, (I think he was in college in his peak toki pona years... not sure). As for everyone else, they fade in and out as is expected for a language without any organic reasons for using it (i.e. no religious, economic, family motivations)
Kuti

Post by Kuti »

jan Pije left IRC in june when he get his job. He still comes time to time, like yesterday.
jan Akesimun

Post by jan Akesimun »

Oh yeah! I remember he mentioned some kind of schoolwork he was doing the one time we've spoken.

So, anyways.. If jan Sonja has a life now, exactly how is the language going to evolve? She was the only source of new words and grammar features, after all.
Yo estuve aquí.
Kuti

Post by Kuti »

I don't know :(
I know people always left what they were doing when they get a job. My parents were hippies but they never changed the world :lol: :x :evil:

But it seems jan Sonja has updated the language last year with new words, and earlier this year she posted that :
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1782
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1788
So I hope she is still around ;)
jan Kapiwe

Post by jan Kapiwe »

There are many people in this forum, but TP looks abandoned by jan Sonja... Until she releases the TP book.
mi mute o musi!