Early learner and playwright

Community: Meet and greet, introductions, networking, gatherings, events, what's new in your life?
Komunumo: Interkoniĝo, sinprezentoj, socia retumado, renkontiĝoj, eventoj, kio novas en via vivo?
withoutnumbers

Early learner and playwright

Post by withoutnumbers »

Toki,

I heard about Toki Pona on the podcast The Allusionist and only recently started to learn it. The impetus I needed to start learning came from the desire to possibly include Toki Pona in a children's play I'm writing. I reached out to jan Sonja for permission a while ago but she hasn't gotten back to me. I was wondering if anyone else had any experience or knowledge in this matter. Here are some more details:

- I work for a non-profit community theatre. This production would be for a children's theatre camp. Again, as I said, non-profit.
- The language wouldn't be labeled in the play explicitly as "Toki Pona (TM)" - the characters who speak it are a small tribe of people who live in an imaginary world. I thought the language would work well in the world of the play. I have not started writing this play yet because I've been waiting to get permission to use the language, and I want to make sure I have at least an intermediate grasp of it.
- Sonja Lang and her work will, of course, receive credit in the program.

Any advice, ideas, or anything to share regarding this work?

I'm excited to start writing because I'll certainly be turning to this community for help and advice!

Sincerely,
Corbin

PS - I have no idea how to write my name in Toki Pona and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to .. figure that out? Hah! Help on that, too?
janKipo

Re: Early learner and playwright

Post by janKipo »

The use of conlangs is a legal mare's nest, but the general rule seems to be that you can us most conlangs (a few have stricter limits -- tp is not one) freely, just not copy copyrighted textbooks. So go ahead (and it sounds wonderful).
'Kopin'
withoutnumbers

Post by withoutnumbers »

Pona, janKipo!
jan_Lope

Post by jan_Lope »

withoutnumbers wrote:...
The impetus I needed to start learning came from the desire to possibly include Toki Pona in a children's play I'm writing.
- The language wouldn't be labeled in the play explicitly as "Toki Pona (TM)" - the characters who speak it are a small tribe of people who live in an imaginary world. I thought the language would work well in the world of the play. I have not started writing this play yet because I've been waiting to get permission to use the language, and I want to make sure I have at least an intermediate grasp of it.
Any advice, ideas, or anything to share regarding this work?

Sincerely,
Corbin

PS - I have no idea how to write my name in Toki Pona and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to .. figure that out? Hah! Help on that, too?
jan Kopin o, toki!

Feel free to use Toki Pona. There are no restrictions. But if you translate texts you have to check the copyrights of the texts.

Maybe my lessons are useful for you:
http://rowa.giso.de/languages/toki-pona ... essons.php

pona!

PS: I used this link to write your name in Toki Pona: http://tokipona.net/tp/Transliterate.aspx
pona!
jan Lope
https://jan-lope.github.io
(Lessons and the Toki Pona Parser - A tool for spelling, grammar check and ambiguity check of Toki Pona)

On my foe list are the sockpuppets janKipo and janSilipu because of permanent spamming.