Toki. nimi mi li Chowlett

Community: Meet and greet, introductions, networking, gatherings, events, what's new in your life?
Komunumo: Interkoniĝo, sinprezentoj, socia retumado, renkontiĝoj, eventoj, kio novas en via vivo?
janChowlett

Re: Toki. nimi mi li Chowlett

Post by janChowlett »

Well, it's not a million miles off...

I was aiming for:

"I learn other languages by translating English works into the other language". Except for the modifier order of ante toki, I'm fairly happy with that.
"Where (should I) write (such translations)?". I was close, I think. I'm not sure there's a better verb-modifier than tan here?
"In the forum named "musi", or in the forum named "ante toki"". This got lost, I think; can you suggest a better translation?
... also, given I figured out that "ante toki" is basically "translation", I'm not sure why I needed to ask. Maybe because the forum summary is "Toki Pona content in other languages", which seems the wrong way around.

"If I wrote an English work in Toki Pona, would I be breaking copyright law?" - I got this completely wrong! :lol: I think I like your version - "If I write using tp then I will break the laws of writing".
The question still stands, though. I think, technically, I would be; but practically is it frowned on?
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

"where" is generally 'lon seme' "at what place" and works fine here.
I'm not sure what "forum" would be but 'kulupu' works well enough but the 'insa' gets into all sortsof problems, since it needs a preposition to make a prepositional use. probably, just 'lon kulupu pi nimi 'musi'' and so on. Despite the question mark, your last line doesn't come across as a question so maybe sticking in the 'ike ala ike' (I'm not sure that 'ike' is the right word here, but it will do) would help.
Copyright is a tricky bit, both the word and the concept. For the word, the old list has something I don't now understand ('pana wile ala' "not deliberately publishing" or so). maybe just 'pana sin' "publishing again" is the crucial notion. In any case, except when they are on a power jag (which does happen a lot, alas) publishers and lawyers generally ignore translations of short bits that have limited circulation and not for money, writing it off as fair use. But what exactly is a short bit can get touchy (and may vary with the significance of the bit, e.g., don't publish the climax of a mystery in any language, and probably not the hot sex scenes, either)
janChowlett

Post by janChowlett »

o jan Kipo, pona!

mi sitelen lon kulupu pi 'ante toki'.

As for copyright, this being just an idle time-filler for me, I can't see me ever getting through more than about a chapter of any given work, which is probably on the right side of "fair use". Where that distinction exists - UK law doesn't have it, specifically, I believe.
janChowlett

Post by janChowlett »

a, mi sona e ni: toki 'jan Chowlett' li toki pona ike. mi nimi ante. mi jan Alet tenpo ni.

--
Ah! I've realised that "jan Chowlett" is bad Toki Pona. I will change my name. I am now "jan Alet".

(And I'll actually change my board handle in a bit, too).
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

'mi ante e nimi' 'tenpo ni la mi jan "Alet"' (or 'mi jan "Alet" lon tenpo ni') "Alet" is still not a tp name, since every tp word ends in either a vowel or /n/.
janChowlett

Post by janChowlett »

"mi ante", of course. I need to remember that basically every tp word can be used as a verb!
"Alet" is still not a tp name, since every tp word ends in either a vowel or /n/.
Sigh, ok. "Aleta", then. This bugs me, actually. I can understand words which do not have a phonetic mapping being disallowed; but tp has the phonemes to render "Alet", so it seems odd that there has to be a vestigial vowel on the end. Basically, if you were a "first-language" Toki Pona speaker, surely you could say words ending in "t"?
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

I see the problem, but tp is heavily syllable-driven. Thus the /t/ wouldn't have a vestigial vowel after it but would otherwise be an unnaturally cut off syllable. This seems to occur also in other syllabic languages, e.g. Japanese, where even what is clearly a free-standing consonant is heard and written as a syllable.
janChowlett

Post by janChowlett »

Bother, it appears to be impossible to change one's username on these boards (it's not an editable field in the CP). Ah well, I guess I'll have to live with.
janTepanNetaPelin

Post by janTepanNetaPelin »

janChowlett wrote:Bother, it appears to be impossible to change one's username on these boards (it's not an editable field in the CP). Ah well, I guess I'll have to live with.
I had to create a new account. :(
https://github.com/stefichjo/toki-pona (mi sitelen e lipu ni pi toki pona)
mi jan Tepan. mi pu. mi weka e jan nasa Kipo e jan nasa Lope.