toki tan ma Wensa

Community: Meet and greet, introductions, networking, gatherings, events, what's new in your life?
Komunumo: Interkoniĝo, sinprezentoj, socia retumado, renkontiĝoj, eventoj, kio novas en via vivo?
janKapije

toki tan ma Wensa

Post by janKapije »

Toki jan ali!

nimi mi li jan Kapije. tomo mi lon ma Wensa (sweden).
mi kama lukin e sitelen toki sina mute tan ni, mi wile sona e toki pona.

Hello!

My name is Gabriel, I'm from Sweden (so my english are not the best on this planet.) I will read your posts so that I may improve my toki pona.

tenpo suno pona tawa sina ali

A good day to you all!
jan Pinsen

Re: toki tan ma Wensa

Post by jan Pinsen »

toki!
Hello!

kama pona lon kulupu ni! ni li pona tawa mi: mi kama sona e sina.
Welcome to this forum! Glad to meet you.

o pilin e ni: sina pana e nimi sina la, sina o toki ala e nimi 'jan'. pana lukin la, mi la, mi toki e nimi ni: 'nimi mi li Pinsen'. taso, sina toki e nimi 'jan' lon tenpo ni: sina toki e ni: jan Pinsen li pali e ijo.
Keep in mind that when you give your name, you needn't include the word "jan". For example, in my case, I would say "nimi mi li Pinsen". However, when you say that a person (e.g., jan Pinsen) does something, you would say the word 'jan' in front of their name.

That's because in the first case, when introducing yourself, it's already clear you're talking about a person because you're saying it's your own name.

suno pona tawa sina kin!
A good day to you too!
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

kama pona kin.
taso. nimi sina li jan Kapije ala tan ni: nimi li jan ala taso li nimi taso. sina kin li jan Kapije. nimi sina li nimi 'Kapije' (jan Pinsen li toki e pona pi ala lili). kin la 'tomo mi li lon ma Wensa' probably 'tawa ni' (purpose, not cause, as 'tan' suggests).
janKapije

Post by janKapije »

toki

pona tawa sina tu tan ni: sina tu pana e sona pi toki pona tawa mi. :idea:

toki pona li pona li ike tawa mi. :?

ken la, mi pilin pona e toki pona. toki pona li pona tawa mi.

tenpo pona tawa sina tu

Kapije
jan Pinsen

Post by jan Pinsen »

pona, jan Kapije o!

I found another minor issue with your original post, where you say you will start looking at "sitelen toki sina mute". "sitelen toki" for 'writings' seems alright to me (could also just be "sitelen" but can't hurt to specify further), but keep in mind that any added modifier after a noun (phrase) applies directly to that noun (phrase). So, as written, "sina" would be applied immediately to "sitelen toki", to form "your writings", and only then "mute" would independently apply to "sitelen toki sina" to form "your many writings". I think, however, you meant to take "sina mute" as a whole. In order to force that grouping, you'll want to use "pi", and so the phrase would be "sitelen toki pi sina mute". "pi" makes the following (here "sina mute") group up first, before it is applied as a whole to the noun (phrase) it modifies (here "sitelen toki").

Hopefully that was clear/helpful. Feel free to ask for further explanation/details/examples if it wasn't.

Oh, and since I'm nitpicking... when you use a noun phrase (name or otherwise) as a vocative, i.e. to call on someone, it is typically followed by "o" (see my start to this post). So, when you said "Toki jan ali!", you would also follow that with "o" to make "toki, jan ali o!". Finally, Toki Pona words typically are agreed never to be capitalized unless they're names, even at the start of a sentence.

You're doing well so far, though! o sitelen mute! :)
janKapije

Post by janKapije »

jan pinsen!

Your nitpicking are great!!
I learn a lot from you.
So feel free to nitpick me whenever you see me make mistakes. My goal after all is to become a skilled toki pona user.

toki pona are simple to the point it gets hard again. I think that I think to much in a "ike"way when i try to use toki pona. I just need to think more in a "pona"way. And of course read the toki pona book a lot more.

tenpo pona!
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

jan Pinsen o, pona taw sina. 'sitelen toki sina mute' felt wrong to me but i could only think the word order odd (I would say 'sitelen toki mute sina', as in English -- reversed, of course) not come to the better explanation you give.
A further nit would be the desirability of a comma after 'toki' or before the vocative rather, "toki, jan ali o'.
jan Pinsen

Post by jan Pinsen »

sina pona mute, jan Kipo o.

I also kind of hinted at the comma, but figured I was already picking too many nits for a single post. Thanks for taking that over from me.

Glad I was of help, jan Kipeja :) hope to see more posts from you soon!