toki!

Community: Meet and greet, introductions, networking, gatherings, events, what's new in your life?
Komunumo: Interkoniĝo, sinprezentoj, socia retumado, renkontiĝoj, eventoj, kio novas en via vivo?
janSewi

Re: toki!

Post by janSewi »

Thank you! The "r" in Sverige is not very pronounced; in many dialects its non-existent. Perhaps "ma Seje" would be less contrived than "ma Suweje"? (What is the etymology of Wense?)
janMato

Post by janMato »

janSewi wrote:Thank you! The "r" in Sverige is not very pronounced; in many dialects its non-existent. Perhaps "ma Seje" would be less contrived than "ma Suweje"? (What is the etymology of Wense?)
Svenska => Wense most likely. I find most transliterated proper nouns to be unrecognizable. The transliteration advice recommends using the language that would be used in that country as the starting point, but the effort feels wasted when it is unrecognizable. I don't remember if there was any advice how how to deal with country/language name pairs that don't match up or have an adjective version, e.g. Great Britain/English, German/German, France/French I use the country ones a lot anyhow because there is a published, well known version of country names and sometimes they are useful for phrase creation strategies, pan could be anything from pancakes to cookies or chocolate cake, but pan Kanse is probably a baguette of some sort.
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

China is a case in point: country Zhongguo Sonko, language Hanyu or Zhongwen (Anju or Sonwen), people and general adjective Han (An) -- with lots of additions and variations. And, of curse, United States, English, American.
The old list has Wensa for both the language and the country and Kanse for French and France, but Sonko and Sonwen for China and Chinese.
janSewi

Post by janSewi »

Useful in communication to use a well known list, I'll keep that in mind. (On the other hand, being creative when it comes to unofficial words trains the mind and brings opportunities for clarifying communication, which may be more valuable in the long run...)
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

But occasionally off-putting in the short. I confess to searching the Pacific for a good Suweya.
jan pili

Post by jan pili »

mi kama tan ma tomo newe jork anu ma tomo jork sin?
janMato

Post by janMato »

Re: tokiponizing proper nouns that in English or the native language decompose to a phrase-- jan Sonja usually treats it all as one word, but sometimes not:

Nujoka New York
Nuwansa New Hampashire
Nupenlan Newfoundland
Nusilan New Zealand
Nuwewen New Haven

but compare

toki Nosiki sin Norwegian Nynorsk
toki Elena pi tenpo pini Greek, Ancient
toki Inli pona Basic English