meli olin mi

Community: Meet and greet, introductions, networking, gatherings, events, what's new in your life?
Komunumo: Interkoniĝo, sinprezentoj, socia retumado, renkontiĝoj, eventoj, kio novas en via vivo?
janSilipu

Re: meli olin mi

Post by janSilipu »

Were in semantic fuzz here: one starts at a central notion and then expands outward. But different people get to different places. Sonja at one time got from "unchanging" to "unmoving" to "stop". Someone else got from "unchanging" to "preserve" to "shelter" to "save". Someone else used 'weka' for "save, rescue" from "throw away" and again 'selo' means "protect" and "enclose" from it's core of "skin, bark, rind".
I assume "describer" means a word in a modifier position.
There are two views of librarians (my first wife, who was one, one told me): the public think of them as giving out books as requested, but librarians think of themselves as guardians of those books against the precarious of the public. The Library of Congress, where books don't circulate but are held for the record, is their ideal.
jan-ante

Post by jan-ante »

janSilipu wrote:There are two views of librarians (my first wife, who was one, one told me): the public think of them as giving out books as requested, but librarians think of themselves as guardians of those books against the precarious of the public.
the "public think" is apparently preferrable for the conlang purposes as it is intuitivly clear for the most of users.
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

But our author took the librarians' view, hence 'awen', not, say, 'pana'.
jan-ante

Post by jan-ante »

janKipo wrote:But our author took the librarians' view, .
to my knowledge she did not. could you provide a precise reference?
janMato

Post by janMato »

By author, I think jan Kipo was referring to me-- I said "li awen e lipu mute" would be what librarians do & not jan Sonja.

I'm not sure how the correct semantic range of awen should be resolved, but I think this discussion has a clear bit of advice for small language builders. They should check for this situation:

Let a, b, c, d, e be related meanings in the same semantic domain assigned to the same word

a is similar to b, b is similar to c, c is similar to d, d is similar e

if a and e have nothing in common, they are complementary (toasted bread and butter)
if a and e are polar opposites on some or all dimensions, they are antonyms (black and white)

If a and e are complementary or polar opposites, then they should be a different words.