3 nights into second life

Community: Meet and greet, introductions, networking, gatherings, events, what's new in your life?
Komunumo: Interkoniĝo, sinprezentoj, socia retumado, renkontiĝoj, eventoj, kio novas en via vivo?
janHanoki

Re: 3 nights into second life

Post by janHanoki »

How active is the Toki Pona community on Second Life? I recently rejoined it to chat with jbopre.
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

Errr, who's Spanish and who Chamurro? Lojban pretty much retains Loglan grammar (with additions) and large parts of its semantics, changes the words (though keeping mainly the same morphological constraints). Since the nineties, they have diverged even further, but still show their family resemblances while being mutually unintelligible (for the most part) and not even simply intertranslatable (though sometimes word-for-word actually works pretty well).
Kuti

Post by Kuti »

janHanoki wrote: What was that like? Loglan is to Lojban as Latin is to Italian, so it would be historically and sentimentally significant to compare them.
He made a group and a land for Loglan; and some weeks ago he also made one for Lojban. He speaks both, and also Esperanto and toki pona
janHanoki wrote:How active is the Toki Pona community on Second Life? I recently rejoined it to chat with jbopre.
We are two to be there very often, and the other few ones comes only time to time. We would enjoy to meet new ones.
There is also a group but not very active, and a land that i try to develop.
We are only at the begining and would be pleased to be more people there.
janHanoki

Post by janHanoki »

janHanoki wrote: We are two to be there very often, and the other few ones comes only time to time. We would enjoy to meet new ones.
There is also a group but not very active, and a land that i try to develop.
We are only at the begining and would be pleased to be more people there.
Please, post a link to the land and/or group.
Kuti

Post by Kuti »

this is the land http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/S ... 4/117/1451
and for the group just type "tokipona" in the search tool.
there is also a group called "conlangers in virtuality"
janHanoki

Post by janHanoki »

Kuti wrote:this is the land http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/S ... 4/117/1451
and for the group just type "tokipona" in the search tool.
there is also a group called "conlangers in virtuality"
Thank you! I just checked it. It seems nice.
Kuti

Post by Kuti »

Due to the lack of people interested in both toki pona and second life, i consider the result of this experiment being a big fail. You can consider it as an official end. There is still a group in sl that you could join if you like. But i quit. Case closed.
janMato

Post by janMato »

oh, well. I'm not really sure who 2nd life is optimized for, people who in real life are arts and crafts hobbyists seem to exist in large number. Maybe to get that audience's attention, one would have to explain how toki pona can be used in the context of crafts, maybe a crafty person could write a recipe for a craft in toki pona and people who followed the recipe would create a wide variety of different creative things because instruction in toki pona leave so much up to the imagination of the reader.

I do fairly strongly believe that the audience for any conlang is polyglots (either professionals like translators, or amateur-hobbyists) and the "invited" audience, which for toki pona is sort of the world of politically left leaning progressives (by progressives, I mean people who generally see the world as a place where a better solution for everything is out there waiting to be discovered). The original core of ma pi toki pona came from the Esperantists, who mostly fit that bill. Maybe future growth will come from inviting more of the world of people who haven't thought much about languages, but already think of themselves as progressives.

Or Muslims-- but I'm still having a hard time on how Islamic features could be retrofitted onto the languages foundational documents.
Kuti

Post by Kuti »

Second life has people who have problems in real life and goes there to forget them; everyone else are artists, or curious passerbyes ( but those don't stay long )

Tokipona mussn't have get esperantists first, but people interested in taoism.
Lots of tokiponians seems to not care at all about the philosophy.
toki pona is : langage + minimalistic simplicity + taoist phylosophy.
But is taken as : game language
So the audience is not well targeted.
And esperantists already have their wonderful language, why bother with tokipona?
And therefore, conlangers already knew two or many more languages, and that is why we are using english right now.

I don't know about muslims. I don't like religions at all.

But it is too late for SL, i gave up
i don't think if i'm still beliving in conlangs; i'm a bit tired of this all. This leads to nowhere

yesterday someone called me a "devoted" tokiponian :?
seems that i need a break