3 nights into second life

Community: Meet and greet, introductions, networking, gatherings, events, what's new in your life?
Komunumo: Interkoniĝo, sinprezentoj, socia retumado, renkontiĝoj, eventoj, kio novas en via vivo?
Kuti

3 nights into second life

Post by Kuti »

:geek: hello

Since toki pona needs a context to rely on, I think it could be nice to met people, in real life. The forum and the chatroom are nice, but it is a world of words, not a real world. Meet tokiponians in real life is a problem, because not many people speaks it, and people are all around the world. To sum up, everyone is alone :(
So i think about seond life, I made a new character and come to see if toki pona could work, and if the virtual world could bring a context.

I met a Spanish (?) man who is English teacher, IRL and in SL. He asked me what is the point of constructed languages when we already have plenty of natural languages :?
That was a really good question indeed. I said every conlang is made for somthing different, artlangs, auxlangs etc...

I went into a map where is setteled an Esperanto school. But it was not the time of the class, and it was empty. I met another guy. We talked mostly about Esperanto, but i noticed that he was not aware of Lojban and toki pona :o

Finaly I decided to try to speak to the toki pona group in SL :mrgreen:
One person told me he forget about the language :? :?
( how can people forget toki pona? :cry: )
A girl told me she has to learn it again. She gave me a tshirt with the tp smiley on it :D
When i was here most of people of this group were offline.
I found another girl who is an artist and we spoke only in toki pona. And she speaks it right :)
As far I can tell, yes, toki pona really works with a context to talk about about, with places to go and things to do!
There was no problem of understanding, and i think the language is well suited for this kind of virtual world. :ugeek:

All those people I talked with were very nice.
There is another group called "conlangers in virtuality" but i didn't talked to them yet. I only know toki pona :oops:

I don't really know what we can do with second life. Basically it solves the problem to find a place to meet, but if we are all around the globe it don't solve the problem of the time ( or some needs to not sleep :lol: ).
It is nice to see that TP can be used in a virtual world, with context. But I still enjoy simple chat like we had on #freenode the other night with jan Waso. :lol:
It is two different things, but i like both.
In SL i only used keyboard, not microphone, but it could be nice to try.

I don't what can you think of all this, but if you want to meet somewhere in a virtual world and use toki pona i'd like to join and talk with you ;)
jan Akesimun

Re: 3 nights into second life

Post by jan Akesimun »

Hm.. ken la meli pi sitelen nasa (word for creative?) li jan Sonja?

tenpo ni la mi wile kama jo e musi Sekonlipe (lon tu?). :)
Yo estuve aquí.
janMato

Post by janMato »

ilo sona mi li ken ala pana e sitelen suwi. taso tenpo lili la mi kama jo e ilo sona sin.

My current home pc can't cope with 2nd life, but I have another on on order. Maybe my next goal should be to attend online chats on a regular basis.

How is the general level of discourse on 2nd life? Last time I was there it was kind of like being on a bus or a train-- lots of people who don't interact with each other.

Is it like twitter (lots of smart witty people) or youtube comments (a steady stream of crap)?
jan-ante

Post by jan-ante »

Kuti wrote:, IRL and in SL.
what is this?
janMato

Post by janMato »

IRL = In real life. communication that isn't on the internet

SL = Second Life. This is essentially yet another online chat technology that has 3D avatars, similar to video games, but without shooting or a game.
Kuti

Post by Kuti »

jan Akesimun wrote:Hm.. ken la meli pi sitelen nasa (word for creative?) li jan Sonja?
ala ^^

janMato wrote: ilo sona mi li ken ala pana e sitelen suwi. taso tenpo lili la mi kama jo e ilo sona sin.
a ni li pona :)
janMato wrote: Maybe my next goal should be to attend online chats on a regular basis.
I think a language is made to be used, so yes it could be nice to do so
janMato wrote:How is the general level of discourse on 2nd life? Last time I was there it was kind of like being on a bus or a train-- lots of people who don't interact with each other.
Is it like twitter (lots of smart witty people) or youtube comments (a steady stream of crap)?
It really depend of where you go, and what to you want to do. Like the real world, the virtual world is made with what do you want to put into it, your involvement, and other people.
Some places are nice, some not. Some maps are crowded, some are empty. Some people speaks, some not. etc...
If we agreed to meet and speak it could be nice.
Technology is like a dog, if the master is bad, the dog is bad, if the master is good, then the dog is a good dog ;)

It is more like chatrooms. It depend of the place and the subject of speaking.

_
Yesterday one friend of the artist thought toki pona was spanish :lol: and she tried to google translate it :mrgreen:
Does it really looks so Spanish ? :o

I noticed that people who don't know toki pona often called me "jan", but my name is janKuti :?

At the Esperanto land I met a French guy who didn't know about toki pona. He told me that they had Esperanto classes in French too.

Honestly the toki pona experienced in Second Life, is something slighty different from the forum or the chatroom or tokilili. It feels more alive. At least it's how i feel it.
Kuti

Post by Kuti »

Some nights later...

I found a lojban group on SL if some here are interested, but i didn't spoke to them

As for toki pona, the artist owns a land, and she called a part of it "ma toki".
There are seats around a kinetic sculpture wich reacts to toki pona words and gives translations.
The other girl who made the t shirts has made the logo above for the group.
She still knows the vocabulary. We met toghether the other night, and speak mostly in toki pona.
It wasn't like a class or somthing formal, just talk. But this place could be a nice place to make a class.
This morning, the artist starts to makes notecard with useful phrases and lessons.

I asked if people on the Freenode chatroom would join us, but one answered that SL was "too web 2.0" for him :lol: ... i can understand that
nasin ante li pona tawa jan ante! :mrgreen:
Eh some people like Facebook, but I don't like it, so I can understand that other people couldn't like Second Life :geek:

If you want to join us, you need a computer that is not too old. Here are the system requirements :
http://secondlife.com/support/system-requirements/

I hope we can create a "ma pi toki pona" there :P
Kuti

Post by Kuti »

Yesterday a french teacher of Esperanto, who knew about toki pona, was surprised that i knew toki pona before esperanto :mrgreen:
The other one thougt it was intended for an international language, so i had to explain.

It is interesting to see what people think about it ^^
janMato

Post by janMato »

Convincing the world that not all fake languages aspire to be global languages (like esperanto) and not all constructed languages need to overreact and actively discourage any community building at all (like a lot of "art-lang" enthusiasts) is my hobby horse. Modest goals of a small in person or online community re-assure fans more than stary-eyed wild claims, and of course is more re-assuring than some of the things Tolkien did to Elvish to discourage people from trying to use the language in real life.

[Wow, that sentence has a lot of logical operators. Someone needs to create a toki pona derivative without any logical operators and without the exact numbers and see if it changes the way people think. I've been trying to count how many times a day I use a sentence that relies on exact measures to express a fact (d'oh! I just did it again!)]
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

Not a good SWH test, for all sorts of reasons (many of which explain why Logjam was a poor plan for that purpose).
But wising people up to the various purposes of conlangs, especially to those that go beyond (or beside) auxlangs and those to Pooh-bah fiction is a necessary move.