sina toki e toki seme?

Community: Meet and greet, introductions, networking, gatherings, events, what's new in your life?
Komunumo: Interkoniĝo, sinprezentoj, socia retumado, renkontiĝoj, eventoj, kio novas en via vivo?
zeme

sina toki e toki seme?

Post by zeme »

toki! mi wile sona ali toki pi sina. ;)

hi! I want to know which languages you speak
Please correct my mistakes :)
janMato

Re: sina toki e toki seme?

Post by janMato »

toki! mi wile sona e ni e ni: sina toki kepeken toki seme? toki ni li ale?
mi toki pona kepeken toki Inli taso. mi toki kepeken toki Losi kepeken ken ike. mi lukin ike e sitelin pi toki Islan e sitelin pi toki Kanse. taso mi lukin la mi sona e lili.

kin la mi kepeken e toki ilo C# pi kulupu Microsoft.
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

Or, more simply, 'mi wile sona e ni: sina toki e toki ali seme.' What you want to know is the DO (hence 'e') of 'sona'. 'pi has always to be followed by at least two words. So you would have at least 'mi wile sona e toki ali seme sina' ('ali', a modifier, comes after the word it modifies). But this is "What are all the languages I want to know you speak." where you might want to know we speak several languages none of us do in fact speak, because you have high expectations of our polyglotness.
'toki' is a rather high goal; would you settle for 'lukin sitelen' "read" and then ignore a lot of dictionary look-ups and more than occasional grammar checks?
sitelen awen pi tomo sona la mi lukin sitelen e toki Inli e toki Latin e toki Elenika e toki Sankita e toki Kanse e toki Tosi. taso ni li lona ala. ken la mi lukin sitelen lili e toki Inli e toki Tosi e toki Elenika. tenpo lili la mi lukin lukin sitelen e ante. kin la mi sona e wan lili pi toki Lokilan e toki Losipan e toki Ajuwi e toki pona.
zeme

Post by zeme »

Wow thanks a lot for the help guys!
I still don't quite understand the role of "la"
Please correct my mistakes :)
janMato

Post by janMato »

zeme wrote:Wow thanks a lot for the help guys!
I still don't quite understand the role of "la"
Here is a link to what I said about la last time, plus what jan Kipo said (somewhere at the bottom of the thread)
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1326
janMato

Post by janMato »

... e toki Ajuwi...
seme li toki Ajuwi?

(and for predicate questions, does the predicate go on the left or right?)
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

Right, I suppose: the subject is 'toki Ajuwi' and you want a predicate that describes it ('sama e seme' would be more precise and, inevitably, unnecessarily long). but (as the parenthesis implies) this is an identity question and so the other order works as well -- but is a little more puzzling somehow.
The answer (in English alas) is aUI is a philosophical language (the language of space, more or less literally) devised by Dr. John Weilgart of Decorah, Iowa sometime in the 1950's (or recalled then from a youthful exposure to it by little green men). Each letter (and numeral) has a meaning and words are constructed from the appropriate letters in the appropriate way (the name is the concatenation of space-thought-sound -- or maybe sound-thought, I'm working without a net here). It is one of the best developed philosophical languages of modern (relatively) times and a prize specimen for the difficulties of semantic prime languages (yes, better than tp, as you might imagine given that it has only 46 starting meanings).
In the instant case, 'la' is used first to set a general context "according to school records"; in the second it is an evidential, indicating how I know what I'm saying or, more precisely, how much reliance you should put on it "possibly"; the third is (the most common) a temporal marker, here "occasionally, on a small number of times" (but it could also mean "for a short time" -- an ongoing problem). Finally, 'kin la' is just connecting to the preceding sentences "moreover" or something like that. Actually, a pretty good display of the common uses of 'la', omitting the use as antecedent of a conditional sentence, which requires a whole sentence.
jan Ote

Post by jan Ote »

toki!
mi toki e toki Posuka, e toki Inli, e toki Losi. tenpo sike mute pini la mi kama sona e toki Tosi. taso tenpo ni la mi sona ala e ona. toki Latin li mama pi toki mute. mi sona lili e toki ni. taso mi ken ala toki e ona.
Kuti

Post by Kuti »

MESSAGE DELETED
Last edited by Kuti on Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
janMato

Post by janMato »

Kuti wrote:mi toki e Kanse en Inli. mi sona ala e Tosi.
en can only be used for subjects, complements of prepositions, etc. It can't join the head words in e phrases or li phrases.

mi en soweli mi li toki kepeken toki mu. My cat and I speak in meows.
tomo mute mi li lon poka kasi suli en nasin kalama. My house is by a tree and a noisy street.
mi lukin e soweli pi pimeja en walo. I saw a panda. (joining adjectives is okay in e phrases, in my opinion)
mi li pali li pali. I worked and worked.
Kuti wrote:mi tawa sona e toki pona.
for intention you'd use wile, for future tense you'd use tempo kama la

tempo kama la mi kama sona e toki pona. I'm studying toki pona tomorrow.
mi wile sona e toki pona. I want to/intend to/have to know toki pona.

Context does a poor job of distinguishing the various meanings of wile. I'm not sure how to phrase it to for a reading of "intend to" when it's equal plausible by context to read "want to" "have to"