sina toki e toki seme?

Community: Meet and greet, introductions, networking, gatherings, events, what's new in your life?
Komunumo: Interkoniĝo, sinprezentoj, socia retumado, renkontiĝoj, eventoj, kio novas en via vivo?
janKipo

Re: sina toki e toki seme?

Post by janKipo »

Also, 'mi toki KEPEKEN toki Kanse en Inli. The DO of 'toki' is what you say (or a description of it) not the language in which you say it.
jan_Pusa

Post by jan_Pusa »

toki Pilipina en toki Inli. tenpo ni la mi kama sona e toki Nijon
olin jan li ike la ni li pakala mute.
Kung ang mahalin ka ay bawal, ito'y napakasakit.
Logomachist

Is aUI a plausible language to communicate in?

Post by Logomachist »

Is aUI a plausible language to communicate in? It looks strange, cumbersome and I don't see any obvious grammatical rules. Are there any texts written in it I could look at?

FYI- I know English, a tiny bit of Latin and studied but completely forgot Japanese. Toki Pona I'm working on. Give me another week or so.
jan musi pi len noka

Post by jan musi pi len noka »

aUI is a crackpotlang (well he did claim he learned the language from space aliens) that predates the internet for $150 clams you can get a copy of the dead tree book.

It looks like his widow (?) Annie Weilgart has a website up http://home.centurytel.net/languageofspace/ and is selling books for far less than Amazon. [I'm tempted to get a set now.]

jan Kipo's talk

And discussion on this board.

As well as being a crackpot lang, it is also an abandoned-lang, ghost-town-lang, so I suppose one could adopt it as ones own personal-lang, or try to build a community around it from scratch.
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

Could someone actually use it? I am not at all convinced it is possible and I've been fiddling with it since 1980 or so. The grammar is that of a German-born American speaking English, as far as I can figure out after reading everything in the main textbook (which is sorta fun in its own weird way). The line between words and sentences is a little vague, but again, knowing the English helps a lot. Inventing new words is a snap; interpreting someone else's new words is a a real pain, since the connection between the concepts is always vague -- as are most of the concepts until pinned down by context. There was a group on some network a while ago, but it has been inert almost since birth (I think my note from last August or so is the latest of the four messages on it). I gather, from a photo I saw somewhere, that what impetus the program has is from a daughter (perhaps even a grand-daughter).
Logomachist

Nice video on aUI

Post by Logomachist »

Enlightening video. I find it interesting that aUI was able to assemble such few symbols into so coherent vocabularies. Has anyone really looked into it?

It shocked me to hear that they imported words from Latin while still maintaining their philosophical composition. No, the vocabulary isn't providing necessary and sufficient, but it still makes a nice nemonic aid and probably cuts down on misspellings. It made me wonder whether the cult had discovered a surprisingly esoteric origin for Latin... until I read the copy of the Lord's Prayer. It doesn't look anything like Latin at all, so any Latin words it imported were probably more easter eggs than a real selling point for the language.
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

I don't think anything was made of the accidental (?) convergence with Latin in words like 'Ut'. But I do suspect that Weilgart took those (there are a few others) as proof that he was on "the right track" (I'm not sure where to). The claim, of course, is that the words really do contain their own definitions, not just that they are mnemonic. As for their usefulness, consider the obscurity of tp phrases, or, say, Lojban tanrus, where the components are all clear but the meaning of the whole can only be guessed at unless you have seen it before often or are certain you are on the same page as the creator.
The website is considerably improved from the last time I looked.