Devanagari

Signs and symbols: Writing systems (hieroglyphs, nail writing) and Signed Toki Pona; unofficial scripts too
Signoj kaj simboloj: Skribsistemoj (hieroglifoj, ungoskribado) kaj la Tokipona Signolingvo; ankaŭ por neoficialaj skribsistemoj
janMato

Devanagari

Post by janMato »

From Facebook, credit to Agneau Belanyek:
यां पुता ली कामा तावा मा पी तोकी पोना ।

I guess if i had to formalise this method of transliterating into hindi, this is what i used:

For the consonants:
p t k s m n l v j
प त क स म न ल व य
(this is partly an arbitrary choice as Hindi several consonants which could be used for each tp consonant)

For the vowels i also arbitrarily chose to use the long a and i sound but the short e o and u. And i used the dot above the vowel to show it is nasalised. With p, this gives:

pa=पा pe=पे pi=पी po=पो pu=पु
pan=पां pen=पें pin=पीं pon=पों pun=पुं

for initial vowels I used the corresponding hindi letters: आ ए इ ओ उ
janKipo

Re: Devanagari

Post by janKipo »

As noted at Facebook, we don't need a separate /a/ after consonants in Devanangari, since it is implicit with every consonant. Nice, since it is the most common letter in tp.
From years of experience reading and teaching Sanskrit, I know that there are recognition problems that start early and persist. These are probably less likely for the tp forms since there are fewer characters to remember or to look similar (no clusters and far fewer letters altogether), but /s/ and /m/ and /i/ and /o/ might cause some problems. There are several other /s/s available, though strictly eshes of one sort and another.