ع - Arabic script for Toki Pona poetry

Signs and symbols: Writing systems (hieroglyphs, nail writing) and Signed Toki Pona; unofficial scripts too
Signoj kaj simboloj: Skribsistemoj (hieroglifoj, ungoskribado) kaj la Tokipona Signolingvo; ankaŭ por neoficialaj skribsistemoj
jan Misite

Re: ع - Arabic script for Toki Pona poetry

Post by jan Misite »

Hi jan Ante, just wanted to say this is pretty cool. It's well-thought out and the presentation is elegant. It would probably be simple enoguh to print out a reference page with all the words on it too. Props. d(-_-)b
jan-ante

Post by jan-ante »

jan Misite wrote:Hi jan Ante, just wanted to say this is pretty cool. It's well-thought out and the presentation is elegant. It would probably be simple enoguh to print out a reference page with all the words on it too. Props. d(-_-)b
thank you. the reference page in text or graphics? does everyone has an arabic supporting system nowdays?
jan Josan

Post by jan Josan »

thank you. the reference page in text or graphics? does everyone has an arabic supporting system nowdays?
It all looks great on my machine.
jan-ante

Post by jan-ante »

jan Josan wrote:
It all looks great on my machine.
i used to look from both ubuntu and windows. under ubuntu it looks better for beginners as the vowle marks are more clear
jan Misite

Post by jan Misite »

I think text would be fine. If not, we can screencap it for the other people.
jan-ante

по просьбам трудящихся

Post by jan-ante »

jan Misite wrote:I think text would be fine. If not, we can screencap it for the other people.
i prepared two versions: first and second. which one looks better?
jan Seloki

Post by jan Seloki »

If you want a version without diacritics you can basically just use the Sorani Kurdish keyboard. I like the version with harakāt (diacritics) but haven't found a language/keyboard layout that lets me input the diacritics should I want to. The Kurdish version uses long vowels (full letters instead of diacritics) & even includes characters for e/o which are not used in Arabic.
ناسین سیتەلەن پەوی تاوا تۆکی پۆنا (nasin sitelen Pewi tawa toki pona)
i/j ی | a ا
k ک | e ە (usually an 'h' in Arabic at least, but apparently is an 'e' in Kurdish. ێ is an 'e' sound also, but ە is mapped to 'e' key already)
l ل | o ۆ
m م | u و or ؤ also 'w'
n ن
p پ
s س
t ت
w و

پ is the letter 'p'. ب is 'b'
ت is the equivalent to the english/tp 't' (ط is a 't' sound but further back in the mouth.) ت is more like in 'tick', ط is more like in 'tock'.

س/ت are phonetically more accurate for toki pona.

a=ا e=ە i=ی o=ۆ u=و

فَصُ لِ طَفَ
لِ لُكٍ عَ مُكُ صٍ
بِبِ لِلِ عُ

would be:
واسۆ لی تاوا لی لئکین
ە مۆکئ سین
پیپی لیلی ۆ

:!:
to remove some ambiguity & still be able to use the harakāt for vowels I would suggest ending one syllable words that end with a vowel with a long vowel. (و ۆ ی ە ا=a e i o u)
the full list would be:
jo یۆ
ko کۆ
la لا=ل+ا | ma > ما (instead of just ل and م)
li لی
ma ما
mi می
mu مو
ni نی
pi پی
pu پو
tu تو

'م' would be 'mun' (مٌ)
ل would be len (لً) or lon (لٌ)

With harakāt the poem would be:
وَسُ لی تَوَ
لی لُکٍ عَ مُکُ سٍ
پِپ لِلِ عُ

'a' could also be written as ا/اَ & ع/عَ for 'e' to distinguish the 2.

sin could also be written as سنْ، & sina as سن. The sukun ْ means there's no vowel following the letter it's attached to.
pan پنْ، & pana پن could also be written this way.

words with more than one syllable are more different so it wouldn't be neccesary to use vowels.
کپک can't be anything but kepeken کَپِکٍ.
ستل would be sitelen سِتِلٍ.

words starting with a would use 'ا'. words starting with e could use either ع/ە. For i/y you could use ی except 'ijo' would be یی/ییُ. u could be ع/و
ale/ali=ال/اَلِ
esun= ٌعس/عَسٌ | ەس/ەس
ijo= یی/ییُ | عی/عِیُ
walo=وَلُ/ول | عَلُ/عل
alternatively you could add 'ا' after ً & ٍ as Arabic does s. wan would be وا/واً/وًا. Sometimes the diacritic is place over the 'ا' & sometimes over the letter before it (the real last letter of the word).
Last edited by jan Seloki on Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:15 am, edited 8 times in total.
人り有え人上ら人り要物無。
ین لی یۆ إ ین سوی لا ین لی ئولی أۆ إ ئیو ألا
.ין לי יו א ין סוי לה ין לי וילה ייו אלה
ܝܲܢ ܠܝܼ ܝܘܿ ܥܹ ܝܲܢ ܣܹܘܝܼ ܠܲܐ ܝܲܢ ܠܝܼ ܘܝܼܠܹܥ ܝܼܝܘܿ ܐܲܠܲܐ.
ญนํลีโญเอะญนํเศะวีลญนํลีวีเละอีโญอล.
jan Seloki

Post by jan Seloki »

jan-ante wrote: In toki pona there are two more vowels - e and o. o (on) could be marked exactly as u (un). e (en) is more difficult: in a first syllable it is like a (an), otherwise it is like i (in), i.e

tenpo - طًبُ
ken - كً
kin - كٍ
seme - صَمِ
lete - لَطِ
ala - عَلَ
al(e/i) - عَلِ

Now the hokku with full set of vowel marks:

فَصُ لِ طَفَ
لِ لُكٍ عَ مُكُ صٍ
بِبِ لِلِ عُ

Note, that e looks like a. This is the only exception, but it could not make a mess, as the e could never be used at the end of sentence, while a is never used in the middle. Moreover, e is apparently more abundant than a, so i suggest to use it just without vowel marks.
Why use 2 different diacritics for 'e' (صَمِ)? That adds more confusion. why not just use صَمَ or صِمِ? As it is that could be 'seme' or 'sama', but you may be able to tell from context. It's confusing enough that multiple characters have to share the same sound without alternating. The only reason I see to do that is if the goal is confusion/ambiguity which I know is embraced by a lot of tokiponists unfortunately. س is really a closer sound to the 's' too. The other is an 's' but is heavier.

what is the difference between 'عً' and 'عَن' anyway(both 'an'). when is the first used versus the second one?
Last edited by jan Seloki on Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
人り有え人上ら人り要物無。
ین لی یۆ إ ین سوی لا ین لی ئولی أۆ إ ئیو ألا
.ין לי יו א ין סוי לה ין לי וילה ייו אלה
ܝܲܢ ܠܝܼ ܝܘܿ ܥܹ ܝܲܢ ܣܹܘܝܼ ܠܲܐ ܝܲܢ ܠܝܼ ܘܝܼܠܹܥ ܝܼܝܘܿ ܐܲܠܲܐ.
ญนํลีโญเอะญนํเศะวีลญนํลีวีเละอีโญอล.
jan Son

Post by jan Son »

Why are you using emphatic s instead of norml s in arabic?
Unlimiter

Post by Unlimiter »

You should use "س" for "s", "ت" for "t", "و" for "w", and "ا" for none.
jan Anlimita