siltelen sin pi toki pona : a new toki pona script

Signs and symbols: Writing systems (hieroglyphs, nail writing) and Signed Toki Pona; unofficial scripts too
Signoj kaj simboloj: Skribsistemoj (hieroglifoj, ungoskribado) kaj la Tokipona Signolingvo; ankaŭ por neoficialaj skribsistemoj
majika

siltelen sin pi toki pona : a new toki pona script

Post by majika »

pona!

I'm a newcomer to Toki Pona; while learning it recently it seemed natural for me to formulate a script for writing Toki Pona. It became a minor obsession over the past week and I even ended up making a Toki Pona font ;)

I put up a webpage to demonstrate the script: http://mike.oconnor.net.au/tp

I hope it stimulates some discussion.. I'm thinking maybe the script could be difficult to learn for people who have never been exposed to Chinese characters/Japanese kanji? Anyway I hope you check it out : please be aware that the script will either appear as Chinese or random characters until you install the font!

musi pona!

jan Majika
janKipo

Re: siltelen sin pi toki pona : a new toki pona script

Post by janKipo »

Having found this section of the forum, you will find that there are a number of fonts designed for tp. I think the logographic are the most common, followed by syllabaries, but I may have lost count. In any case, this seems to be a popular early tp project and your contribution is welcome.
janMato

Post by janMato »

The google translate trick is very clever! The google translate is about as intelligible as an english relex, but it's a tool.

Did you pick your kanji using prior art or from scratch? If you put together your list from scratch, it's interesting to see how many characters appear to be the same as the other proposed single character scripts.

http://tokipona.net/tp/Compress.aspx <-- Here is the latin to japanese/chinese converter I wrote, based on characters chosen by other people.
http://tokipona.net/tp/ClassicWordList.aspx <-- The characters on this page were from jan Josan, Erik Olsen and jan Jopi

I've lost track of jan Jopi's transliterator-- he recently updated his character list and I haven't caught up. jan Jopi uses a lot more Japanese, especially for the grammatical particles.
majika

Post by majika »

jan Mato o! jan Kipo o! toki!

I stumbled across this section of the forums quite late in the day, after I'd already made the mappings, so they were made from scratch. I used Google Translate to find an appropriate character that summed up the essence of the Toki Pona word, along with my prior knowledge of the characters from Chinese and Japanese.

Looking at jan Josan's list, it looks like we picked approx 50% of the same characters. I'd be interested to do a more detailled comparison when I find the time - my Chinese/Japanese knowledge is far from extensive!

//majika
jan Akesimun

Post by jan Akesimun »

jan Majeko o! toki! I've been trying to record every script adapted and made for tp for a while. This seems like a good addition, but I can't seem to make the font work on this pc (Hate Puppy Linux lol). Could you upload just like a picture of it? :)
Yo estuve aquí.
janMato

Post by janMato »

I thought this was just unicode Chinese. I didn't crack open the ttf font, but I would guess it is some font that has only the 125 or so Chinese characters. I'm not sure how big the complete .ttf is for the entire chinese language, but It probably bigger than the file at that website.
jan Akesimun

Post by jan Akesimun »

Heh. Oh. ..I really need to get around to learning how to put fonts on here. a a a. Had to use Ubuntu to see which version of the runes you were using.. Think that's what I'll do this time too. :oops:
Yo estuve aquí.
majika

Post by majika »

toki!

Yeah the font is somewhat patched together.. it was the first time I ever made one. I just took Arial and filled in the Toki Pona characters where the various Chinese unicode characters were. This is of course (probably) highly illegal, but since I live in a relatively non-litigious country I'm not losing any sleep over this.. 8-)

I'm not sure why the font wouldn't install.. I work on Ubuntu myself. I didn't try installing it under Windows yet.

In any case - I uploaded an image file of the script to the website: http://mike.oconnor.net.au/tp/script.png

cheers guys - suno pona!
janMato

Post by janMato »

majika wrote:In any case - I uploaded an image file of the script to the website: http://mike.oconnor.net.au/tp/script.png

cheers guys - suno pona!
Ah! that is new! I didn't see that at all. My browser it seems was automatically downgrading to ordinary Chinese.

Look at the Css in the source on http://tokipona.net/tp/Runes.aspx It illustrates the code I used to force everyone (modern) browser to show a Rune font instead of making best effort substitutions, which is what font-families do.

I like the primitive feel of the old symbols.
majika

Post by majika »

jan Mato o! toki!

Haha I only put the image link up this morning - don't worry, there's no amnesia setting in (yet ;)

I managed to install my font in windows, but internet explorer didn't render using the font.. :evil: ..so I quickly tried pasting your css into the page but it still refused to display. I'll take a look later when I'm not supposed to be doing day-job stuff..

Thanks for the feedback!
//majika