ken la jan li ken toki kepeken kalama uta?

Signs and symbols: Writing systems (hieroglyphs, nail writing) and Signed Toki Pona; unofficial scripts too
Signoj kaj simboloj: Skribsistemoj (hieroglifoj, ungoskribado) kaj la Tokipona Signolingvo; ankaŭ por neoficialaj skribsistemoj
jan Akesimun

ken la jan li ken toki kepeken kalama uta?

Post by jan Akesimun »

jan li ken toki e toki pona. jan li ken sitelen e toki pona. ken la jan li ken toki e ona kepeken nimi ala? ken la jan li ken toki kepeken kalama uta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whistled_language)? At the very least, it'd give a third way of using toki pona, instead of just speaking or writing it. sina ali li pilin e seme tan ni?
Yo estuve aquí.
janKipo

Re: ken la jan li ken toki kepeken kalama uta?

Post by janKipo »

i has me my doubts. Aside from Solresol and its kin, whistled languages tend to be for a relatively small set of fixed messages, fewer even than the word base of tp. but then, i am tone-deaf, so a whistle wouldn't convey much. tp sign language, on the other hand,...
Kuti

Post by Kuti »

MESSAGE DELETED
Last edited by Kuti on Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
jan Misite

Post by jan Misite »

From what I remember about Silbo Gomera, there are 4 consonants and 4 vowels, with stress and if I am not mistaken, a pitch distinction too. I might be wrong about the last part. If it is only 16 syllables we could still use my contracted syllabary idea (dissolve all of TP's syllables into 15 catch-all syllables) and use stress to distinguish word boundaries. You couldn't add new words though and it's not very pona. ;)
jan Akesimun

Post by jan Akesimun »

janKipo wrote:i has me my doubts. Aside from Solresol and its kin, whistled languages tend to be for a relatively small set of fixed messages, fewer even than the word base of tp. but then, i am tone-deaf, so a whistle wouldn't convey much. tp sign language, on the other hand,...
Hm.. Well the sign language does have lots of potential uses. Like if silence is required for some reason, for one. I'm actually in the process of learning the finger spelling for this reason. But it wouldn't really be of much help if the other person isn't nearby or if it's too dark to make out the other person's signs from far away..
jan Misite wrote:From what I remember about Silbo Gomera, there are 4 consonants and 4 vowels, with stress and if I am not mistaken, a pitch distinction too. I might be wrong about the last part. If it is only 16 syllables we could still use my contracted syllabary idea (dissolve all of TP's syllables into 15 catch-all syllables) and use stress to distinguish word boundaries. You couldn't add new words though and it's not very pona. ;)
I didn't think of that, but yeah! Just have a, e/i, j, k, l, m, n, o/u, p, s, t, and w? I'm honestly not too clear on how whistled languages work yet (I found out about them the day I asked this), but maybe it would be fairly easy to adapt.
Yo estuve aquí.
jan Misite

Post by jan Misite »

jan Akersimun: Well, actually, I meant to pair up the 16 possible syllables of Silbo Gomera (4 vowels and 4 consonants) arbitrarily with the 15 catch-all syllables from the top of this image (this first scheme of mine is not just a shorthand but a kind of compression technique, akin to the letter codes jan ante worked on) but spelling out the words works too. I hadn't thought of that. :O If we use the most recent scheme from my alphasyllabary (which is the other one I have been working on the most right now) then we could probably get by with just using 11 of the 16 available syllables from Silbo Gomera to spell out the words. There is one possible problem: Running out of breath whistling all the letters. :) That is why I favor a written_syllable-to-whistled_syllable mapping in this case over a written_letter-to-whistled_syllable mapping.

To give you an example of how this would work, (if I remember correctly) one consonant of Silbo is tS, and there is a vowel i, so we can make the syllable [tSi]. That can be matched with any of the proposed syllabic "bins" for instance jo/ju/ta/ka. So if you accept that mapping (and there are hundreds if not thousands of acceptable mappings, so you can play around with them to get the melody you like), by whistling 'tSi' (with stress, and perhaps a pitch distinction, to mark the word boundary) you mean 'jo'. The one caveat is that you couldn't add new words because this scheme only works to pick out the word from the lexicon. Using the previous mapping, and adding another vowel I know is present in Silbo 'a' we can create the syllable tSa, we can use it with the "bin" pa/la; with these two syllables we can whistle the word tSatSitSa which can only mean 'pakala' because how I've deliberately divided the syllables of TP among the "bins". Note: I suggest keeping the TP convention of stress on the first syllable because that will allow us to keep short words from gluing onto the end of longer words.

I almost forgot to mention, Busuu.com has recordings of Silbo. Busuu is free and totally worth signing up for that reason alone.

jan Kipo: I don't pretend to know how Silbo stacks up against Solresol, but I do know that its whistlers (according to studies!) break the language up into syllables with vowels and occlusions. Maybe you could learn it! :)