mi pali e sitelen pi toki pona

Signs and symbols: Writing systems (hieroglyphs, nail writing) and Signed Toki Pona; unofficial scripts too
Signoj kaj simboloj: Skribsistemoj (hieroglifoj, ungoskribado) kaj la Tokipona Signolingvo; ankaŭ por neoficialaj skribsistemoj
phr4nkr4wk5

Re: mi pali e sitelen pi toki pona

Post by phr4nkr4wk5 »

Hm! What punctuation marks are used in standard Toki Pona?
jan Akesimun

Post by jan Akesimun »

The period, exclamation point, question mark, and colon are what are used in jan Pije's lessons. Some people use commas, too. Just not sure what exactly for.. :?:
Yo estuve aquí.
phr4nkr4wk5

Post by phr4nkr4wk5 »

Okay, I've made a few revisions. The comma, question mark, etc. are just in case. Some people might want to use them??
Attachments
sitelen pi toki pona.jpg
jan Akesimun

Post by jan Akesimun »

ona li pona. mi pilin e ni: jan li ken sitelen e ali kepeken nasin sitelen sina.
Yo estuve aquí.
phr4nkr4wk5

Post by phr4nkr4wk5 »

And if you write a page in this script at a normal handwritten speed, it doesn't look half bad. It doesn't look too artificial or "fake"... at least I don't think so...

Also, like I said, it's pretty regular. The -o's are pretty much just the Latin consonant components, and the rest of the vowels mostly have regular modifications from the original Latin letters they were based on. The -a's extra stroke goes towards the left, the -e's go to the right, etc. Easy to learn... There are a few irregularities, but they're there for a reason. The s row, I discovered, would have been a little awkward to write had I left them in their unaltered, albeit rather regular, form.

However, I didn't design this script for any particular reason. I guess I was just proving to myself that Toki Pona is easily adaptable, easy to invent scripts for. I can't say I know how this script would be in actual use. I never had, nor do I have right now, any intents or purposes to even suggest this script be used by others. I guess you could say this was just an exercise for me.

Now, time to design a more fluid, cursive version. . . hm.
jan Misite

Post by jan Misite »

I think your script looks pretty cool. I think it's neat how you put it together. The block letters remind me of a cross between runes and some Western alphabet, like Coptic, Cyrillic or Roman. The reversed letters are a bit of a surprise but they definitely make it look different. Many English cursive scripts modify/prohibit backwards-flowing characters like the vowel indicators for 'e' and 'u' in this syllabary.

Coptic and Cyrillic don't have fully connected cursive systems like English; they tend to use cursive forms which have optional ligatures that can be connected depending on what letters are adjacent. They also sometimes allow the writer lift the pen when writing a single letter to make a more fluid yet angular form. Sutterlin for German may interest you too.