nasin sitelen ali pi toki pona

Signs and symbols: Writing systems (hieroglyphs, nail writing) and Signed Toki Pona; unofficial scripts too
Signoj kaj simboloj: Skribsistemoj (hieroglifoj, ungoskribado) kaj la Tokipona Signolingvo; ankaŭ por neoficialaj skribsistemoj
jan Akesimun

Re: nasin sitelen ali pi toki pona

Post by jan Akesimun »

Cool! I use to use Anglo-Saxon runes all the time as an alternate script for English, but I never thought about adapting it to toki pona. ni li pona tawa mi.
Yo estuve aquí.
janMato

Post by janMato »

jan Akesimun o! anu jan ante o! (as in 'o anyone!') Do you have any suggestions for how to map the remaining 10 characters of the elder futhark to toki pona phonemes -- namely as alternates the same way c and k often have the same sound in English? I suppose I could work something out myself but I wanted to check the wisdom of the crowds first.
jan Akesimun

Post by jan Akesimun »

Hm.. Using multiple characters for the same sound.. I don't think any writing system has done that yet.. Interesting. Maybe we could use the standard 14, use ng for n followed by k, use h to start vowel-initial words, and map f/b to p, thorn to t, r to l, g to k, z to s, and d to t, and use this method as either an optional way to spell or spell proper names phonetically? Instead of Megan becoming Mekan, we could just spell it with a g and pronounce it as either k or the original hard g, for example.
Last edited by jan Akesimun on Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yo estuve aquí.
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

I don't think any writing system has done that yet.
rrr!, English (for just one amongst those who use the Latin alphabet), though the other way is more common.
leoboiko

Post by leoboiko »

Wow, that was fast! Sorry for taking too long and changing things after you created the transliterator :) After some experimentation, I’ve updated the original post with more explicit punctuation conventions; but feel free to disregard anything you think doesn’t work. I don’t have more authority about runes than any of you.

I’ll leave the multiple-runes idea for you to flesh out :)
janMato

Post by janMato »

Cool, thanks! I update the transliterator shortly. The punctuation helps. I noticed when I created a chinese/japanese transliterator, that latin punctuation becomes invisible-- tiny dots next hidden among huge symbols.

Conventions in toki pona are evolving kind of like the QWERTY layout. What ever pops up first, often will get favored regardless serious issues-- like the number system. I'm MLLLT years old. Odds are higher that you understand me than if I'd used any of the other proposed counting systems. The other are even more obscure.
jan Akesimun

Post by jan Akesimun »

jan Mato o. What are the other proposed counting systems? I'm only familiar with the basic 0, 1, 2, 5, many, and all, and the one for big numbers.
Yo estuve aquí.
janMato

Post by janMato »

jan Akesimun o! This calls for a new thread-- I'll create one.

Off the top of my head, I know I've proposed a decimal system, a base 11 system based on colors, someone else suggested using the engineer's color system, there have been suggestions for base 2, 3, and probably suggestions for other bases-- the archaic words had I think enough words for base 4 and 5. I think at some time I made an off the cuff proposal for doing scientific notation in toki pona.
jan Akesimun

Post by jan Akesimun »

I remember tuli and po (I think descended from English three and four?), but okay. I'll check out your thread. :) And I've added jan Misite's shorthands to my list too, so that makes about 25 writing/spelling/communication systems for toki pona. So far my list is:

Scripts Adapted to TP
Latin
Tengwar
Hangul
Hanzi
Kanji
Hiragana
Katakana
Cyrillic
Arabic
Hebrew
Braille
Runes

Scripts Made for TP
Musi Pona(?)-Syllabary (phrphr4nkr4wk5 anu jan Piwan)
Latin-based Two Letter Code (jan Mato?)
Shorthand (Counting contracted and alphasyllabary styles as the same system) (jan Misite)
Pona-Alphasyllabic Alphabet
Mushi-san-Hangul-like Alphabet (jan Mushi-san)
Nelanth- Unicode based heirogylphs with a supplemental alphabet. (jan Nelanth(?))
Linja Wan
Unicode
Sitelen Suwi-Heiroglyphs with a supplemental syllabary. (jan Josan)
nasin sitelen pi nimi sitelen-Incomplete heiroglyphic script.
Glyphic-Hangul-like Alphabet.

Nonwritten Systems
Sign Language
Greek-Based Spoken Alphabet
English-Based Spoken Alphabet
tp-Based Spoken Alphabet

Deiwos Phter! I didn't realize how big this list got until I counted them all up.. Now I remember why I took a break from this to start my etymology-and-word-origins project..
Last edited by jan Akesimun on Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yo estuve aquí.
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

h for eta, aitch, I assume -- but that ain't right neither. What language are you shooting for?