What is nail writing?

Signs and symbols: Writing systems (hieroglyphs, nail writing) and Signed Toki Pona; unofficial scripts too
Signoj kaj simboloj: Skribsistemoj (hieroglifoj, ungoskribado) kaj la Tokipona Signolingvo; ankaŭ por neoficialaj skribsistemoj
janMato

What is nail writing?

Post by janMato »

Is that finger nails? Hammers and nails?

It's in the description for this forum. Google knows nothing about this.
akesipalisa

Re: What is nail writing?

Post by akesipalisa »

The official term is "cuneiform script". It was widely used in Mesopotamia, ancient Persia and the Hittite empire.
janMato

Post by janMato »

Okay, so using this page:
http://www.hethport.uni-wuerzburg.de/pi ... ltbab.html

I tracked down an old Babylonian font and "on-screen-keyboard". Then I learn than old bab was some sort of syllabary and doesn't have toki pona syllables. The ideograms seem more promising, but a quick look at some ideogram words shows they don't necessarily match up to toki pona's words (maybe they do. this is rapidly exceeding my attention span. In any case, the ideograms are much longer looking than the symbols for phonetic syllables.)

Worst of all, I after I put the clay tablet in my computers DVD slot, it didn't go anywhere. I don't think the tubes in my internet have enough suction power to deliver my cuneiform toki pona message.
sano

Post by sano »

Then I learn than old bab was some sort of syllabary and doesn't have toki pona syllables.
It seems like a good enough system to be adapted.
akesipalisa

Post by akesipalisa »

janMato wrote:Okay, so using this page:
http://www.hethport.uni-wuerzburg.de/pi ... ltbab.html

I tracked down an old Babylonian font and "on-screen-keyboard". Then I learn than old bab was some sort of syllabary and doesn't have toki pona syllables. The ideograms seem more promising, but a quick look at some ideogram words shows they don't necessarily match up to toki pona's words (maybe they do. this is rapidly exceeding my attention span. In any case, the ideograms are much longer looking than the symbols for phonetic syllables.)

Worst of all, I after I put the clay tablet in my computers DVD slot, it didn't go anywhere. I don't think the tubes in my internet have enough suction power to deliver my cuneiform toki pona message.
jan Mato o, toki!
Hoping that you managed to pull the clay tablet out of the DVD slot without damaging both ;) , I agree with you that this script isn't much good for tp. I like the idea of having a tp script of its own. Practically speaking, and having in mind modern text processing tools, I see two solutions: toki Tengwar is already available as ttf font. But Japanese syllable characters (hiragana/katakana) might be used as well. They represent open syllables, and the syllable-closing -n exists as well (I think that jan Sonja was inspired by this, too). For my private diary, I have invented my own word script which is a mixture of simplified Egyptian hieroglyphs, simplified Chinese characters, and some symbols of interpreter shorthand. For nimi ante, I use toki Tengwar syllable characters.
At least, I am still able to read and understand what I wrote down two years ago :)

tenpo ali la, toki pona li awen!

tenpo ni la, mi tawa li pana e pona tawa sina ali.

jan Elumutu
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

And half a dozen (maybe -- probably -- more) in this section and back in the archives, including a Mayan looking one (for exotic effects) and things for old 7, 11, and 15 bar display units.