Writing System?

Signs and symbols: Writing systems (hieroglyphs, nail writing) and Signed Toki Pona; unofficial scripts too
Signoj kaj simboloj: Skribsistemoj (hieroglifoj, ungoskribado) kaj la Tokipona Signolingvo; ankaŭ por neoficialaj skribsistemoj
Pi Jei

Writing System?

Post by Pi Jei »

Here are some writing systems i made up very simple i could add more complex things to it but tell me what you think of these 1st.
jan Josan

Re: Writing System?

Post by jan Josan »

Do you have an idea of which symbol is which letter or syllable? I often find systems based on the same shape rotated for multiple letters harder to distinguish than one which uses a variety of shapes.But the shapes you have chosen seem pleasant to look at.
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

Pretty, but my immediate response is to subject them to analysis: inserts as vowels, top line as -n. The history of these things is hard to fight. Also, if not analyzed, they are discontinuous, which makes for problems in writing. But they sure look good.
janMato

Post by janMato »

Pi Jei wrote:...tell me what you think of these 1st....
nena meli! Was this a toki pona Rorschach test?
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

Yes, and you get a rare shock as the award for failing.
jan Josan

Post by jan Josan »

janKipo wrote:Yes, and you get a rare shock as the award for failing.
tenpo mute la mi pana e musi ike. taso jan Kipo o, ni li musi ike suli!
zeme

Post by zeme »

ni li lukin sama e sidelen pi MSpaint.
Please correct my mistakes :)
jan Josan

Post by jan Josan »

zeme wrote:ni li lukin sama e sidelen pi MSpaint.
sitelen pi ilo MSpaint.

remember proper names are modifiers to nouns (jan Zeme, ma Mewika, ilo Computer, etc.) and pi must have more than one modifier after it.
zeme

Post by zeme »

Thanks jan Josan
Please correct my mistakes :)
janMato

Post by janMato »

zeme wrote:ni li lukin sama e sitelen pi ilo MSpaint.
Oh man, this is hard to parse.

The modal lukin (when followed by a verb) means "is trying to"/"intends to" or something like that. Also, "sama" following a verb has a reflexive meaning (lukin sama ~ looked at itself). When something "looks" or "seems", there isn't a patient, the agent isn't acting on anyone or anything.

The classic word list says "sama" means "seem", but it is a preposition. Dictionary.com says seem is a intransitive verb, which would take an adverbial (seems bad) or prepositional complement (seems like it's going to rain, seems like trouble). This isn't the firsts time the classic world list cracked under intense analysis.

So maybe this is one of those verbs that doesn't take a complement (according to jan Pije lesson, like "mi toki lipu mute"/I talked about books), which I don't really agree with because this pattern occurs so infrequently in the corpus. The most common solution in the corpus is to use an "e ni" construction, (mi toki e ni:"...", mi pilin e ni: "...", mi lukin e ni:"...")

The most legitimate things that don't take a marked complement are "tawa" and "kama", which parse quite nicely as prepositional predicates where the preposition implies motion, either literally or metaphorically. (I say legitimately because I've read that other natural languages do this, so it makes sense)

When the complement of the verb is unmarked and doesn't look like a predicate, it just looks like the "e" or relevant preposition is missing. So "mi lukin la ni li sama ilo MSPaint" wouldn't do either.

So I'd say

mi lukin e ni la ni li sama e ni: jan li kepeken e ilo MSPaint.
When I look, this seems to be like this: somone used MSPaint.