Toki pona keyboard

Signs and symbols: Writing systems (hieroglyphs, nail writing) and Signed Toki Pona; unofficial scripts too
Signoj kaj simboloj: Skribsistemoj (hieroglifoj, ungoskribado) kaj la Tokipona Signolingvo; ankaŭ por neoficialaj skribsistemoj
jan-ante

Re: Toki pona keyboard

Post by jan-ante »

janKipo wrote:But that system is ambiguous without a vowel/consonant shifter. So some letter will take two strokes (and so attention should therefore be taken of frequency factors).
but is it a problem? specifically, one can use 0 to indicate that the 1st letter is vowle as well as for final n
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

I thought 0 also indicated a foreign word at the beginning. In any case, the larger keyboard would probably cover all eventualities.
jan Josan

Post by jan Josan »

For the keyboard I was thinking about something like this:

Code: Select all

j  k    u un
  l  m  n  p     a  e  i  o
q  s  t  w   .    an en in on
          :  ?  !
      <space> <return>

The order could be moved around so that the index and middle fingers take on the majority work. Left and right hand would be punched simultaneously, consonants would be placed in front of vowels automatically. Right hand only entries would leave consonants off those syllables.
jan-ante

Post by jan-ante »

janKipo wrote:I thought 0 also indicated a foreign word at the beginning.
a range of possibilities: use 00, * or # to mark the begining of foreign word
In any case, the larger keyboard would probably cover all eventualities.
sure, but generally there are only 12 buttons available: 0-9, *, #
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

Twelve should be enough, with a few two-punch entries (punctuation, say) and marking null consonant (it has been done before, after all), -n and foreign. What goes where needs some research (and then we need to incorporate the telegraph in and out routines as well).
And we should not forget the potential of the numpad on the computer keyboard, which offers a few more keys, if needed.
jan-ante

Post by jan-ante »

janKipo wrote:Twelve should be enough, with a few two-punch entries (punctuation, say)
yes, the two-punch entries are the problem. and this problem is not limited to punctuation as tp has 14 latin letters. and the method i've mentioned is a good way to solve this problem
What goes where needs some research
it sounds like a fear of research. is it?
janMato

Post by janMato »

jan-ante wrote:
janKipo wrote:Twelve should be enough, with a few two-punch entries (punctuation, say)
yes, the two-punch entries are the problem. and this problem is not limited to punctuation as tp has 14 latin letters. and the method i've mentioned is a good way to solve this problem
What goes where needs some research
it sounds like a fear of research. is it?
mi monsuto ala tawa sona sin, taso mi monsuto tawa pali. a a a
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

I would say 'monsuto tan' if anything; the word needs more information before I get comfortable using it.

I'm not sure what sounds like "fear of research" there; it was a suggestion to get some statistics about character frequency and ergonomics of keypad use (I know this is available, the character frequency stuff may be a little dated) and work from that to an optimal distribution of effort. The fourteen character problem is solved -- in theory at least -- by the regular CV pattern of tp and the use of null and -n as separate characters(the latter outside the pattern). I expect that typos in this system will be particularly interesting.
jan-ante

Post by jan-ante »

janKipo wrote: I'm not sure what sounds like "fear of research" there;
the quotation i cited above as well as this one:
But that system is ambiguous without a vowel/consonant shifter. So some letter will take two strokes (and so attention should therefore be taken of frequency factors).
sorry if i misunderstood you
jan Ote

Post by jan Ote »

janMato wrote:
jan-ante wrote:it sounds like a fear of research. is it?
mi monsuto ala tawa sona sin, taso mi monsuto tawa pali. a a a
Should we rather use the form:
  mi pilin monsuta ala tan sona sin, taso mi pilin monsuta tan pali.
or not?
monsuta
1. creature that preys on humans
2. a real or imaginary threat
3. an object of fear
Then "monsuta" used as a verb is "to be fearsome; to make fear; to frighten; to scare" or "to feel fear"?
akesi suli li tawa wawa li monsuta e jan. jan li pilin monsuta.