Toki pona keyboard

Signs and symbols: Writing systems (hieroglyphs, nail writing) and Signed Toki Pona; unofficial scripts too
Signoj kaj simboloj: Skribsistemoj (hieroglifoj, ungoskribado) kaj la Tokipona Signolingvo; ankaŭ por neoficialaj skribsistemoj
janMato

Re: Toki pona keyboard

Post by janMato »

jan Ote wrote:
janMato wrote:
jan-ante wrote:it sounds like a fear of research. is it?
mi monsuto ala tawa sona sin, taso mi monsuto tawa pali. a a a
Should we rather use the form:
  mi pilin monsuta ala tan sona sin, taso mi pilin monsuta tan pali.
or not?
monsuta
1. creature that preys on humans
2. a real or imaginary threat
3. an object of fear
Then "monsuta" used as a verb is "to be fearsome; to make fear; to frighten; to scare" or "to feel fear"?
akesi suli li tawa wawa li monsuta e jan. jan li pilin monsuta.
Is pilin a modal, is monsuta an adverb, or is monsuta an unmarked complement (cf jan li pilin e monsuta or jan li pilin tan monsuta)?

Your version is less ambiguous. My version is shorter. I've been wondering how much semantic ground bare verbs cover. We've determined that moku covers all tenses, imperfect/perfect, continuous/not-continuous, probably more. Does it cover active to passive transformations?

I eat. mi moku.
I will eat. mi moku.
I ate. mi moku.
I am eating. mi moku.
I was eating. mi moku.
I have eating. mi moku.
I have been eaten. ?/* mi moku. (passive)
I just ate. mi moku.(recent past)
I would have eaten. ? mi moku. (irrealis)
I probably would have eaten. ? mi moku. (irrealis)
It's been rumored I am eating. ? mi moku. (evidentials)
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

Not passives. There are none in tp to avoid the anonymous culprit ("Mistakes were made") (but leaving the indefinite on "Somebody made a mistake"). Tense are covered, of course, by 'la' structures as are(probably) most other odd flourishes, though some would be better dealt with, maybe, by overt sententials : 'jan li toki e ni:' and the like. I suspect, however, that development of evidentials and the like will be before 'la'.

The real question sis, what class is 'monsuto' and that is just not clear yet. The current remarks seem to start it as a Noun, but those early notes do not always show the final basic notion. Based on the present stuff, though, 'mi monsuto' means "I am a monster" and 'mi monsuto e ona' means "I make him a monster" probably translated as "I fear him" (tough vampire and werewolf bites and the like are not to be discounted entirely). 'mi pilin monsuto' is "I feel monsterly" which seems to be "I feel ferocious" maybe angry, maybe powerful, maybe ... . But this is till deeply in the realm of pure speculation.
jan Josan

Post by jan Josan »

janKipo wrote:But this is till deeply in the realm of pure speculation.
Not to mention Sonja hasn't even added yet it to the new list of words. I think the only way we even knew of it was when it showed up in the recent changes.
sano

Post by sano »

janMato wrote:
tokipona keyboard.jpg
This seems to be a language suitable for one handed typing.

Can I has manufacturer?
This doesn't seem practical. If one can already type TP with existing keyboards, why would a specialty keyboard even be necessary?
jan Tawisi

Post by jan Tawisi »

since there are only 130 something words in toki pona and considering that the keyboard is a new design maybe it would be possible to make a keyboard with each key dedicated to an entire toki pona word, the keyboard would be bigger (would probably only be practical for a desktop) but would probably increase typing speed alot although it would need to be gotten used to. in order to type unofficial words some keys could have individual letters (accessible by Shift key) printed on them as alternatives to the words.... the individual letter keys could be organized in an optimum way to minimize key travel. just a crazy idea, i didnt read the whole thread but i dont think anyone suggested it yet. maybe it would be a good application to a hieroglyphic or cuneiform alphabet version of tp. in my opinion that would make a pretty kick ass keyboard. :ugeek:
janAlopo

Post by janAlopo »

Maybe this manufacturer would help. Here's an iPad keyboard version.
janAlopo

Post by janAlopo »

How about a chording keyboard? One hand, five keys, press one or two at a time.
janAlopo

Post by janAlopo »

Or the numeric keypad? Mine has 15 usable character keys, and the "Enter" key could work for space. Use 2 spaces for line end. Two periods would make a colon, for "e ni:". Numlock shifts to mode for backspacing, delete, select, copy/paste.