sitelen suwi

Signs and symbols: Writing systems (hieroglyphs, nail writing) and Signed Toki Pona; unofficial scripts too
Signoj kaj simboloj: Skribsistemoj (hieroglifoj, ungoskribado) kaj la Tokipona Signolingvo; ankaŭ por neoficialaj skribsistemoj
jan Josan

Re: PS

Post by jan Josan »

jan-ante wrote:could comma glyph be vertical?

Yes, all the punctuation can rotate if need be.
PS could you remind me the link for PPT file with glyphs for syllables?
jan Josan wrote:Here is a powerpoint with the full set of glyphs. I also reworked the original set, cleaning up a line here and there, and converting all the lines to pure black.
I just re-up-loaded this directory. Should be working again.
jan-ante

waso li tawa li lukin e moku sin pipi lili o

Post by jan-ante »

jan Josan

Re: sitelen suwi

Post by jan Josan »

very nice! I like the s shaped path.
jan-ante

Post by jan-ante »

jan Josan wrote:very nice! I like the s shaped path.
what about colour coding of vowels?
jan Josan

Post by jan Josan »

I think my instinct would be to group whole words together by color, even though they are grouped by proximity, it was harder to see that waso, lukin, and moku were single words, but tawa, pipi, and lili really stood out.
jan-ante

Post by jan-ante »

jan Josan wrote:I think my instinct would be to group whole words together by color, even though they are grouped by proximity, it was harder to see that waso, lukin, and moku were single words, but tawa, pipi, and lili really stood out.
that means that your right hemisphere is dominating. not surprising, taking your profession into account. now let us make an experiment. look here
is the colour causes groupping on every picture, or may be somewhere it is of secondary importance, but the glyph proximity causes the groupping?
everybody else, please answer this question too
jan Misite

Post by jan Misite »

I am not quite sure what you mean but to me, without reading this, the white background allows the red and other colors to stand out against the green, while with the grey the green stands out. With the washed-out colors there is a difference but it's harder for me to see the glyphs and their colors as being discrete and associate them together, I would have to look at the glyph and then pay attention to its color.
jan-ante

Post by jan-ante »

jan Misite wrote:I am not quite sure what you mean but to me,
i suggested colour encoding of vowels in sitelen suwi. jJosan said that this encoding works oppositly: his intuition tells him to group the glyphs of the same colour. i suggested that this is a domination of right hemisphere of brain and proposed an experiment with the image above. will the colour=word association persist with the different background and faint colours?
without reading this, the white background allows the red and other colors to stand out against the green, while with the grey the green stands out.
what do you mean under "stand out"? but, anyway, the green is different, but red, yellow, white and blue are opposed to green, right?
With the washed-out colors there is a difference but it's harder for me to see the glyphs and their colors as being discrete and associate them together, I would have to look at the glyph and then pay attention to its color.
then which one is the best representation of colour-encoded vowels?
jan Josan

Post by jan Josan »

Maybe the less saturated one feels less disconnected, it helps all the glyphs have equal importance, but the groupings are almost the same to me. I feel like I am training my mind to ignore the color in order to read it, but I am not getting information from the color. Having the grey background helps create a bit more of an active negative space, but it also makes the white o glyphs pop independently too.

Even though the glyphs do have the black outline, they almost have the exact same reading to me as this:

waso li tawa
li lukin e moku sin
pipi lili o

Here and in the saturated versions I read: WA... TAWA... KIN PIPI LILI first and then the rest of the sentence.

It is interesting to me that you would place emphasis on the vowel here with color, but when you are working with the arabic script, you showed that the vowels are almost not needed for comprehension:

ws l tw
l lkn * mk sn
pp ll *

What about color for information not already in the glyph, like POS?

waso li tawa
li lukin e moku sin
pipi lili o
janMato

Post by janMato »

I did a toki pona colorization. It is part of speech driven and the colors were chosen by my intuition and experience from working with computer programming language source code coloring:

http://tokipona.net/tp/DisplayText.aspx