How would you say "to show"

Language learning: How to speak Toki Pona, translation problems, advice, memory aids, tools and methods to learn Toki Pona and other languages faster
Lingva lernado: Kiel paroli Tokiponon, tradukproblemoj, konsiloj, memoraj helpiloj, iloj kaj metodoj por pli rapide lerni Tokiponon kaj aliajn lingvojn
jan Seloki

How would you say "to show"

Post by jan Seloki »

Should "to show" be kama e lukin (cause to see) or ken e lukin (allow to see) or is there really a difference? In other words should " I'll show you a picture" be "mi kama e ni:sina li lukin e sitelen" or "mi ken e ni: sina lukin e sitelen".
人り有え人上ら人り要物無。
ین لی یۆ إ ین سوی لا ین لی ئولی أۆ إ ئیو ألا
.ין לי יו א ין סוי לה ין לי וילה ייו אלה
ܝܲܢ ܠܝܼ ܝܘܿ ܥܹ ܝܲܢ ܣܹܘܝܼ ܠܲܐ ܝܲܢ ܠܝܼ ܘܝܼܠܹܥ ܝܼܝܘܿ ܐܲܠܲܐ.
ญนํลีโญเอะญนํเศะวีลญนํลีวีเละอีโญอล.
jan Jojanese

Re: How would you say "to show"

Post by jan Jojanese »

"i'll show you a picture" - mi pana lukin e sitelen tawa sina
mi pilin pona tawa ijo mijomi ni
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

Well, the first two give the wrong notion since the direct object in a causative construction is the subject of the caused action so this is”cause or allow a view”, which misses the point a bit. The third, two-sentence, solution is safe. The last involves a new idiom but looks like it should work.
janTepanNetaPelin

Post by janTepanNetaPelin »

jan Seloki wrote:Should "to show" be kama e lukin (cause to see) or ken e lukin (allow to see) or is there really a difference? In other words should " I'll show you a picture" be "mi kama e ni:sina li lukin e sitelen" or "mi ken e ni: sina lukin e sitelen".
"kama e lukin" and "ken e lukin" should work, but it's unnecessarily specific to me, whereas "pana e ijo tawa lukin" works for me all the time: "mi pana e sitelen tawa lukin sina".
https://github.com/stefichjo/toki-pona (mi sitelen e lipu ni pi toki pona)
mi jan Tepan. mi pu. mi weka e jan nasa Kipo e jan nasa Lope.
janTepanNetaPelin

Post by janTepanNetaPelin »

jan Jojanese wrote:"i'll show you a picture" - mi pana lukin e sitelen tawa sina
"pana lukin" reflects the speaker's need to have one string of words ("pana lukin") for one vocabulary item ("show"). It does stretch "lukin" as a modifier though, as "showing" is none of "gift of the eye", "eye-giving" (which would be "seeing") or "visually giving". I prefer "pana e ijo tawa lukin", because it leverages Toki Pona's precision and doesn't resort to calque-guess-work behind a stretched usage of a modifier. ("pana lukin e ijo" would still be understood.)

"mi pana e sitelen tawa lukin sina."
https://github.com/stefichjo/toki-pona (mi sitelen e lipu ni pi toki pona)
mi jan Tepan. mi pu. mi weka e jan nasa Kipo e jan nasa Lope.