About date, days of week, and counting

Language learning: How to speak Toki Pona, translation problems, advice, memory aids, tools and methods to learn Toki Pona and other languages faster
Lingva lernado: Kiel paroli Tokiponon, tradukproblemoj, konsiloj, memoraj helpiloj, iloj kaj metodoj por pli rapide lerni Tokiponon kaj aliajn lingvojn
jan Jojanese
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:25 am
Location: ma Onkon

Re: About date, days of week, and counting

Postby jan Jojanese » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:01 pm

jan Seloki wrote:I personally use a system somebody else came up with derived from Esperanto numbers

1 wan
2 tu
3 sili (tri)
4 kuala (kvar)
5 kuin (kvin)
6 sese (ses)
7 sepe (sep)
8 oku (ok)
9 nawo (naŭ - pronounced like 'now')
10 teke (dek)
11 teke wan
12 teke tu
20 tu teke (dudek)



Few things:

a) all of them are from a single language (and that language is a bad IAL to boot)
b) kuala, kuin and nawo all break toki pona's phonotactic rules. (syllables with only a vowel can only appear as the first syllable of a word, and 'wo' is not allowed at all.)
mi pilin pona tawa ijo mijomi ni

User avatar
jan Seloki
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:51 pm

Re: About date, days of week, and counting

Postby jan Seloki » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:40 pm

jan Jojanese wrote:
jan Seloki wrote:I personally use a system somebody else came up with derived from Esperanto numbers

1 wan
2 tu
3 sili (tri)
4 kuala (kvar)
5 kuin (kvin)
6 sese (ses)
7 sepe (sep)
8 oku (ok)
9 nawo (naŭ - pronounced like 'now')
10 teke (dek)
11 teke wan
12 teke tu
20 tu teke (dudek)



Few things:

a) all of them are from a single language (and that language is a bad IAL to boot)
b) kuala, kuin and nawo all break toki pona's phonotactic rules. (syllables with only a vowel can only appear as the first syllable of a word, and 'wo' is not allowed at all.)

You're right about kuala, kuin, & nawo although I don't know if there is any practical purpose, or just Sonja's choice. I don't see any reason it really would hurt, at least with the first rule. As for Esperanto being a bad IAL, I disagree, although that's not even a relevant argument against using it for this anyway. If people don't like this script, they can always suggest another one. The idea that having a proper number system goes against toki pona being minimalist is simply stupid.
人り有え人上ら人り要無。
ی لی یۆ ە ی سەو لا ی لی ویل الا

jan Jojanese
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:25 am
Location: ma Onkon

Re: About date, days of week, and counting

Postby jan Jojanese » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:58 pm

jan Seloki wrote:
jan Jojanese wrote:
jan Seloki wrote:I personally use a system somebody else came up with derived from Esperanto numbers

1 wan
2 tu
3 sili (tri)
4 kuala (kvar)
5 kuin (kvin)
6 sese (ses)
7 sepe (sep)
8 oku (ok)
9 nawo (naŭ - pronounced like 'now')
10 teke (dek)
11 teke wan
12 teke tu
20 tu teke (dudek)



Few things:

a) all of them are from a single language (and that language is a bad IAL to boot)
b) kuala, kuin and nawo all break toki pona's phonotactic rules. (syllables with only a vowel can only appear as the first syllable of a word, and 'wo' is not allowed at all.)

You're right about kuala, kuin, & nawo although I don't know if there is any practical purpose, or just Sonja's choice. I don't see any reason it really would hurt, at least with the first rule. As for Esperanto being a bad IAL, I disagree, although that's not even a relevant argument against using it for this anyway. If people don't like this script, they can always suggest another one. The idea that having a proper number system goes against toki pona being minimalist is simply stupid.


i agree about proper number systems being good, but i don't think new words are necessary at all

how about this:

numbers work like they do in the wan tu luka mute system

wan 1
tu 2
luka 5
mute 20
kulupu 100
noka 500
pali 1 000

69 is mute mute mute luka tu tu
420 is kulupu kulupu kulupu kulupu mute
666 is noka kulupu mute mute mute luka wan

it keeps minimalism while being more useable
mi pilin pona tawa ijo mijomi ni

Folgore_202
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:37 am

Re: About date, days of week, and counting

Postby Folgore_202 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:33 am

jan Jojanese wrote:
Toki Pona is not an IAL. If it was European-based, it would be horribly boring and generic.


Sorry, I was talking about the numeration system and not about the nature of the language itself, but upon re-reading my previous message, it is far from being clear. Once again, sorry!


Return to “kama sona toki”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron