How do you say/translate this word/phrase into Toki Pona?

Language learning: How to speak Toki Pona, translation problems, advice, memory aids, tools and methods to learn Toki Pona and other languages faster
Lingva lernado: Kiel paroli Tokiponon, tradukproblemoj, konsiloj, memoraj helpiloj, iloj kaj metodoj por pli rapide lerni Tokiponon kaj aliajn lingvojn
KNTRO

How do you say/translate this word/phrase into Toki Pona?

Postby KNTRO » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:56 pm

Hi all,

I'm starting this thread for asking how would you say a word or a sentence in Toki Pona. I could already save some, but some other words and phrases are getting tricky in my head.

For instance, a couple of hours ago, I was thinking about how one would say a known person in Toki Pona. I first thought of jan sona, but jan sona [NOUN NOUN] is a person of knowledge, like a teacher or a wiseman/wisewoman. However, according to The Official Toki Pona Book, you can convert any verb as an adjective [page 26], so I think jan sona [NOUN ADJECTIVE] could be translated as a known person as well, but I'm not sure.

What do you think, people?

Thanks a lot for reading!
sina toki kepeken Epanja, la sina kama pona lon kulupu sin pi ilo Telegram a! ;)

janKipo

Re: How do you say/translate this word/phrase into Toki Pona?

Postby janKipo » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:15 am

The first problem is that adj sona means "knowing", not "known", there is no tp passive. So, to say he is known means somebody knows him, but that is hard to work into a tidy phrase. The doesn't seem to be a good direct solution. The best approach seems to be to reword the whole sentence with the phrase.

janKipo

Postby janKipo » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:15 am

The first problem is that adj sona means "knowing", not "known", there is no tp passive. So, to say he is known means somebody knows him, but that is hard to work into a tidy phrase. The doesn't seem to be a good direct solution. The best approach seems to be to reword the whole sentence with the phrase.

KNTRO

Postby KNTRO » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:24 pm

Thanks for your answer, Kipo!

These explanations of yours help me to understand Toki Pona deeper!
sina toki kepeken Epanja, la sina kama pona lon kulupu sin pi ilo Telegram a! ;)

Return to “kama sona toki”