When is a predicate is only formed by an adjective?

Language learning: How to speak Toki Pona, translation problems, advice, memory aids, tools and methods to learn Toki Pona and other languages faster
Lingva lernado: Kiel paroli Tokiponon, tradukproblemoj, konsiloj, memoraj helpiloj, iloj kaj metodoj por pli rapide lerni Tokiponon kaj aliajn lingvojn
jan_Lope

When is a predicate is only formed by an adjective?

Post by jan_Lope »

Does anyone know a possibility in Toki Pona that a predicate is clearly only formed by an adjective?
By this I mean that the predicate in this case cannot be a verb or noun.

For example:

ona li pona.

This sentence has three possible grammatical variants and thus at least three possible statements.
- With the transitive verb "pona" is the meaning: "It is fixing."
- With the noun "pona" is the meaning: "It's the good."
- With the adjective "pona" is the meaning: "It is good."

We can formulate the sentence grammatically more clearly.

ona li pona e ilo.
Here only the transitive verb "pona" as predicate possible: "It is fixing the tool."

ona li pona ala pona?
In a yes/no question with "ala" you can only allow one verb as a predicate: "It is fixing?"

ona li pona pi jan ali.
Here only the noun "pona" is possible. "pona pi jan ali" is the predicate here: "It's the good of all people."

Is there a sentence structure that only allows one adjective as a predicate?
Last edited by jan_Lope on Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
pona!
jan Lope
https://jan-lope.github.io
(Lessons and the Toki Pona Parser - A tool for spelling, grammar check and ambiguity check of Toki Pona)

On my foe list are the sockpuppets janKipo and janSilipu because of permanent spamming.
janKipo

Re: When is a predicate is only formed by an adjective?

Post by janKipo »

Though Lope won’t see this, I may as well drop my small change.
“Clearly” is easy; there are many cases where all the probabilities of the context lead to that assignment. But “necessarily’ is different. No matter how likely it is that ‘jan li pona’ has ‘pona’ as an adjective as the predicate, it is always *possible* that it has a verb with omitted DO. I suppose that Lope wants a case that can’t be of the latter sort and I doubt that he can find one, given the ingenuity of linguists to create counterexamples.