len lawa loje

Language learning: How to speak Toki Pona, translation problems, advice, memory aids, tools and methods to learn Toki Pona and other languages faster
Lingva lernado: Kiel paroli Tokiponon, tradukproblemoj, konsiloj, memoraj helpiloj, iloj kaj metodoj por pli rapide lerni Tokiponon kaj aliajn lingvojn
jan Pina

Re: len lawa loje

Post by jan Pina »

sentences like " ona li tawa e tomo " usually "means he moves house".
To say "he moves himself to the house" we say "ona li tawa tomo".
Similar logic could be applied (i suppose) to "ona li monsuta e soweli".
For me it sounds more like "She got him scared" than "She afraid of him"
May be some form like next could make it better.

ona li pilin e monsuta (tawa/tan) soweli.
or
ona li jo e monsuta (tawa/tan) soweli.

actually it is pretty common use of "pilin monsuta" to say "afraid" and "li monsuta e" to say "to scare".
see tatoeba.
https://tatoeba.org/eng/sentences/searc ... und&to=eng
janKipo

Re: len lawa loje

Post by janKipo »

But 'tawa' is a preposition, so takes a direct object (with 'e') only when made into a causative: "causes the direct object to move to". 'monsuta' is either a noun "monster" or a verb "fear". In the latter case, it takes as a direct object the thing one fears, the monster of the subject's thought. In the former, it again takes a direct object in a causative sense "causes the direct object to be a monster (thing feared)", laying the blame for the subject's fear on the subject. To be sure, there is another derivation from a noun that might apply, though it is less common, the applicative:"applies a monster to the object" (cf. 'telo e' for "wash") and that could mean "frightens object", I suppose, by having some horror pop up suddenly, for example.
I guess the 'pilin/jo e monsuta tan' is a good safe middle ground to take.