3D graphics

Language learning: How to speak Toki Pona, translation problems, advice, memory aids, tools and methods to learn Toki Pona and other languages faster
Lingva lernado: Kiel paroli Tokiponon, tradukproblemoj, konsiloj, memoraj helpiloj, iloj kaj metodoj por pli rapide lerni Tokiponon kaj aliajn lingvojn
Mahira

3D graphics

Post by Mahira »

Hello,
how would you translate "3D (computer) graphics"? Where "dimension" is defined as "One of the physical properties that are regarded as fundamental measures of a physical quantity, such as mass, length and time."

I'm new to Toki Pona, so I still kinda fight with putting words together but I came up with "lawa ali pi lon poki tu wan pi ilo nanpa pi pali sitelen".
Where I mean: lawa ali (physics), lon poki (dimension (I found this means "category" but I couldn't come up with any word for "property" or "attribute")), tu wan (3), ilo nanpa (PC), pali (make), sitelen (picture).

Also one little question: Is it okay to say "ilo musi pi soweli suli ike" for "teddy bear"? :)

Thank you in advance! :)

EDIT: Maybe "jo" for "property"?
(lawa ali jo tu wan pi ilo nanpa pi pali sitelen)
janKipo

Re: 3D graphics

Post by janKipo »

"teddy bear" looks good but 3-d graphics is pushing things a bit too fast. It presupposes a lot of culture that tp doesn't have and trying to do it inone fell swoop is going to get messy results.
So, physics isn't all the laws or the laws of everything exactly, but more the science of things as such, so probably something with 'sona' or 'nasin' in it.
But you want "physical", which has remarkably little to do with physics nowadays. I expect it turns out to have 'pilin' in it somewhere ("tangible", say) or 'sijelo' ("bodily") 'jo' means "property" in the sense of "possessions" but I am not sure it will do for "attribute" (I haven't found a good word for "adjective" yet). The end part, about a computer that makes pictures works OK, though.
Incidentally, you have "the physics of dimensions" when you want the reverse, with "dimensions" as the head of the construction and "physical" as its modifier.
The dimensions of an object are its suli nanpa sijelo (I think) but these are clearly concrete: individual height, width, depth (and probably weight, etc. as well). You want not the numbers but the axes along which the numbers are measured, and, while an axis is a line, the complex into which these lines fit and that makes them axes. And don't get started on "direction"

Good running start, though.
Mahira

Post by Mahira »

Thank you! :)
"Adjective" (as a word) should be from what I know "nimi ante"... as an "attribute", maybe "ijo ante" which is kinda inaccurate but it probably may do the thing.
So physics (by definition "(...)study of properties and interactions of space, time, matter and energy") would be probably "nasin pi ijo ante ali"? When definition includes everything and "nasin pi ijo ante ijo" could be chemistry? Or maybe like "science about a material of things", nevermind. O.o

So... "(dimension) tu wan pi (physical) pi ilo nanpa pi pali sitelen." Just find the right words and put them together, I'm going to look further into it and if I come up with something, I'll write.
If anyone else has ideas, I'd be happy to see your ideas. :)
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

I've tried (and not liked much) 'nimi ante' ("word for difference/change" or "changing/modifying word" which sounds better). 'ijo ante' for attribute is maybe getting there; maybe 'ijo pi ante ijo' "what modifies a thing"?
You end talking about computers that make pictures but ultimately you want to talk about the tool for making pictures of a certain kind on a computer: ilo pi pali sitelen (3-D) pi ilo nanpa' with details to be supplied.