Grammar/when to use li and e

Language learning: How to speak Toki Pona, translation problems, advice, memory aids, tools and methods to learn Toki Pona and other languages faster
Lingva lernado: Kiel paroli Tokiponon, tradukproblemoj, konsiloj, memoraj helpiloj, iloj kaj metodoj por pli rapide lerni Tokiponon kaj aliajn lingvojn
janKipo

Re: Grammar/when to use li and e

Post by janKipo »

yes, onethat sets a context within which the statement it introduces is true. But notice the use of emotive words, too, and structural ones. it's very busy.
JanKanle

Post by JanKanle »

And yet, no word for a domestic animal. Get your priorities straight, pu.
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

Well. 'mani' applies first of all to domestic herd animals (whatever they happen to be locally) . And 'soweli tomo' covers them and the more at-home sorts. Throw in 'waso tomo' and you pretty much have the lot (I don't believe in akesi tomo or kala tomo as real domestic animals).
JanKanle

Post by JanKanle »

Is that a recent word? I only have a 120 word dictionary
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

'mani' is pretty old. usually glossed as "money" but the "original meaning" is listed in pu among the official 120.
JanKanle

Post by JanKanle »

:oops: oh shit lol. yeah, I knew that. I used it in my description of a capitalist in the other thread.
jan_Lope

Post by jan_Lope »

JanKanle wrote: I don't know how to use li and e correctly.
Maybe my lessons can help you to understand better the separators "li", "e", "pi" and "la":

http://rowa.giso.de/languages/toki-pona ... essons.php

pona!
pona!
jan Lope
https://jan-lope.github.io
(Lessons and the Toki Pona Parser - A tool for spelling, grammar check and ambiguity check of Toki Pona)

On my foe list are the sockpuppets janKipo and janSilipu because of permanent spamming.
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

Lope's lessons are not wrong, but his rules are unduly restrictive and you might get better results elsewhere, pu or even Pije. For instance, in his formal grammar -- which seems to mirror his lessons well -- he finds six different readings of 'tenpo pi suli mute li pona' but none of them is "A very long time is good", which is the most obvious reading outside special contexts.