Teaching small children

Language learning: How to speak Toki Pona, translation problems, advice, memory aids, tools and methods to learn Toki Pona and other languages faster
Lingva lernado: Kiel paroli Tokiponon, tradukproblemoj, konsiloj, memoraj helpiloj, iloj kaj metodoj por pli rapide lerni Tokiponon kaj aliajn lingvojn
Cvi

Teaching small children

Post by Cvi »

Did anyone try teaching small children (like 3-4 year old)? I mean in a group, not my own children.
If so - what were the results?
If not - is it worth trying?
janKipo

Re: Teaching small children

Post by janKipo »

i don't know of any such attempts with tp and am not in the position to try it (maybe Mato?). But it always seems a worthwhile effort and good for the kids. You might even start earlier.
janMato

Post by janMato »

I'm planning to teach it, but only once my kid knows how to write. I think it's a good experience to learn a 2nd language and get to the point of mastery. With my other language learning attempts, I never achieved a sense of mastery-- that takes like 10 years of full day practice.

There is another guy out there that said he was going to do the experiment, but didn't follow through.

I'm currently trying to teach Russian (I speak it as a 2nd language) & that is challenging enough, you have to come up with a switching strategy, since you want to use your better language some of the time & the weaker language some of the time, too.
Cvi

Post by Cvi »

If it was a group of children that already know the latin letters (I live in Israel, they learn first the Hebrew letters) - I would rather teach Esperanto. The question is about small children. I thought that maybe they can learn easily the few words, and that maybe they can also adapt easily to the logic of this language - they don't have to unlearn so much.
LisaPowers

Post by LisaPowers »

I love teaching small kids. Few years back I am a teacher at Long Island day care centre. There are children between 6 weeks to 10 years old. The preschool management for children is organised and disciplined. Now I teach small children at home, and enjoys it, even children enjoys learning with me.
jan_Lope

Post by jan_Lope »

Cvi wrote:Did anyone try teaching small children (like 3-4 year old)?
toki!

Maybe this is an interesting link for you. "Expressive Robots in Education" with Toki Pona:

http://www.bartneck.de/publications/201 ... Education/
pona!
jan Lope
https://jan-lope.github.io
(Lessons and the Toki Pona Parser - A tool for spelling, grammar check and ambiguity check of Toki Pona)

On my foe list are the sockpuppets janKipo and janSilipu because of permanent spamming.