Standard yes/no question help?

Language learning: How to speak Toki Pona, translation problems, advice, memory aids, tools and methods to learn Toki Pona and other languages faster
Lingva lernado: Kiel paroli Tokiponon, tradukproblemoj, konsiloj, memoraj helpiloj, iloj kaj metodoj por pli rapide lerni Tokiponon kaj aliajn lingvojn
janAetherStar

Standard yes/no question help?

Post by janAetherStar »

So, I know that questions are verb + ala + verb. But what about compound verbs with something like pona?

If you're asking about the degree of wellness of doing something, is it 'verb pona ala pona' (since you're asking about whether or not the verb committed was good rather than the verb itself)? Or would you say 'verb pona ala verb pona'? Or would you just say 'verb ala verb pona'? Which one is the most correct?

Also, with 'kama sona' and 'kama moli' etc, do you say the whole chunk (kama sona ala kama sona), just kama then sona after, or just sona?

Thanks everyone :)
ale li pona. :)
sina o sona e ni.
oleso

Re: Standard yes/no question help?

Post by oleso »

All the examples I've seen are always using the verb, and I think the lessons specify the verb.

However...

Having a quick look through the wiki page on the topic, it seems like unnecessary information isn't usually duplicated (tangent: they use the linguistic term "reduplicated", what is "re" even doing there?! ^_^ ).

Examples are given for other parts of speech; adverbs, adjectives, modals and prepositions. But no nouns.

I would personally follow the lead of Mandarin (etc) here and do likewise. I would repeat compound verbs in full, until the meaning is clear. But for nouns, either use "anu" or attach it to the verb.

eg:
A: jan li ken ala ken toki kepeken nimi "ken ala ken?".
B: ken!

A: jan li ken toki pona ala pona kepeken nimi "pona ala pona?"
B: pona!

A: sina kama sona ala kama sona e Toki Pona?
B: kama sona!

And maaaaybe:
A: tenpo ni ala tenpo ni la sina kama sona e Toki Pona?
B: tenpo ni!