Defining toki pona dictionary in toki pona

Language learning: How to speak Toki Pona, translation problems, advice, memory aids, tools and methods to learn Toki Pona and other languages faster
Lingva lernado: Kiel paroli Tokiponon, tradukproblemoj, konsiloj, memoraj helpiloj, iloj kaj metodoj por pli rapide lerni Tokiponon kaj aliajn lingvojn
janKalepa

Defining toki pona dictionary in toki pona

Post by janKalepa »

In order to improve toki pona thinking, I've started to write toki pona dictionary in toki pona. It's really fun to do, I'd say. My goal in this project is to define 123 official words using that official words only. By now I've wrote 55 definitions.

You can look at it here: http://glebsite.net/sonatoki/

Of course, iI don't think that one could study tp using this dictionary.:) But what's interesting for me: how many toki pona words is enough to understand definitions of others? Can the word mean more, that can be described by other words in the same language?

Comments and suggestions are welcome.
Kuti

Re: Defining toki pona dictionary in toki pona

Post by Kuti »

i really like the idea of this ! :o :P
pali sina li pona mute tawa mi a!
janMato

Post by janMato »

It's hard to define words following the dictum "don't define a word using that word". Because the words are very granular (building up acts of communication from 125 grains of sand)-- it's going to be hard to talk about a concept with out eventually accidentally using that word. (like define disestablishmentarianism without using the letter e)

The talk about adding/removing words often brings up that some words appear to be near synonyms (but not full synonyms, e.g. noka vs anpa or luka anpa or luka - leg vs lower part, lower "arm", appendage)

I've speculated on how one would write a toki pona dictionary for, say, a space alien to use. I figure it would require a bunch of pictures & sample sentences. And it would probably be easier for aliens to learn than that system someone created that starts with math as the first language lesson.
Kuti

Post by Kuti »

janKalepa

Post by janKalepa »

Oh, my work is much more humble :) But I have definitions for "sike" and "sitelen" *)