Marriage Certificate in TP

Language learning: How to speak Toki Pona, translation problems, advice, memory aids, tools and methods to learn Toki Pona and other languages faster
Lingva lernado: Kiel paroli Tokiponon, tradukproblemoj, konsiloj, memoraj helpiloj, iloj kaj metodoj por pli rapide lerni Tokiponon kaj aliajn lingvojn
jan Nowo

Re: Marriage Certificate in TP

Post by jan Nowo »

Right:). I wanted to say that I was not a language professional, but an electrical engineer. I could not figure out how to say that so I chose "toki pali" and "wawa pali". Sorry.

BTW: mi sona ala e ni: mi wile ala wile kama sona Usi Asi anu Tosi?

sina sona toki seme?

I understand you have difficulty to decipher my Toki Pona. I am just learning.
janSilipu

Post by janSilipu »

Modifier after modified. 'toki pali' is akind of toki, 'Pali toki' is working with language. I think the best are probably 'jan pi sona toki' "linguist" and 'jan pi pali wawa' "electrical engineer" (I hope).
'sona e toki Usi Asi anu toki Tosi'. Are you intending to ask about what you want to do (which is what you ask in tp) or are you asking which you should learn? What is Usi Asi (getting back from tp names to the original is a pain)? I think the second question (which should you learn?) is just 'mi wile Kama sona e toki Usi Asi anu toki Tosi?' since "anu" is an inherent question.

I have certificates that say I "know" five real and five constructed languages other than English. They all lie.
jan Nowo

Post by jan Nowo »

Usi Asi means Russian, at least in my head.

Yes, I wanted to ask if I should learn Russian or German? I have a certificate saying I am a diploma electrical engineer, but it is even more of a lie as it all happened more than 20 years ago.

Before I start to "pakala" Toki Pona again, I suggest this term for translate: pana toki. Hope I did not swap the two this time. I now realize you have to look for the head.

mi pana toki mute.

sina pali seme? sina sona toki seme?

To return to my certificate a bit, if I may:
Could "Bratislava 20th February, 1978" become "Patisawa 20 nanpa Ebuwa, 1978"

(In the meantime I learned we use nanpa for ordinal numbers.)

and "serial No.: 400" become "nanpa sin: 400"?

Or, is it better to express numbers using wan, tu, luka. I cannot imagine expressing bigger numbers without resorting to
dashes or some kind of other symbolic device.

o lon pona!
Kuti

Post by Kuti »

oh all those dates and numbers :?
jan Nowo wrote:Usi Asi means Russian, at least in my head.
Losi
janSilipu

Post by janSilipu »

Twenty years ago? Piker! My certificates are mainly from the 50s and early 60s.
Usi Asi. I see (now) some relicts of Russi yazik here. I don't know Slavic languages, so I don't know whether this distortion is a natural local variation or even a result of local affection or animosity.
Pana toki. Most folks use ante toki: ona li ante e toki tan toki Inli tawa toki pona.
Big numbers (over 3 really) are a problem for tp, which is supposedly philosophically opposed to them. There are many proposals and no official solutions. We all do what you did, write numerals and pray we don't have toread aloud. We haven't faced up to dates yet, either, so yours is a decent guess (but 'nanpa 20' and maybe 'Pepuwali').
Just 'pona', 'lon' is "be" only in existential sense.
janMato

Post by janMato »

re: toki Losi
Я могу читать на русском, но я не могу писать. I get by with a little help from google translate. (And I'm teaching my baby son Russian-- an experiment probably audacious as talking to him in a conlang because Russian isn't my 1st language and

There used to be an active Russian livejoural site, but it has gone quiet for a long time. Feel free to use any language, there have been productive conversations on this board in French, English, Esperanto, and some times people try to stick to toki pona even.

mi toki e toki pi jan lon ma Losi. mi kepeken e ilo Kuga (pi toki ante) kin. mi wile sona e toki Losi tawa jan lili mi. ni li nasa tan ni: toki Losi li ala toki mama mi.
Kuti

Post by Kuti »

janSilipu wrote:We all do what you did, write numerals and pray we don't have toread aloud.
i feel like the only one who don't do this. :?
janMato wrote: and some times people try to stick to toki pona even.
we should do this most of the time, but looking at this forum it seems desperate :?
jan Nowo

Post by jan Nowo »

mi lukin Losi. mi toki lili Losi.

I thought one has to follow native pronunciation of a particular language; that's why I used those proper names the way I did. The certificate is originally in Slovak, a language similar to Russian in some respects.
jan Nowo

Post by jan Nowo »

mi toki e toki Mewika tawa jan lili mi kin. jan lili mi sin li toki ala.
janSilipu

Post by janSilipu »

@Mato: 'toki kepeken toki pi jan pi ma Losi'? 'wile pana sona e toki Losi'. 'li toki mama mi ala'
@Kuti. lon. taso kepeken pi tenpo ni li wile e ni: mi ali li pali ante li kepeken e nanpa suli.
@Nowo 'toki kepeken toki Mewika'