Can someone 'teach' me tp conversation?

Language learning: How to speak Toki Pona, translation problems, advice, memory aids, tools and methods to learn Toki Pona and other languages faster
Lingva lernado: Kiel paroli Tokiponon, tradukproblemoj, konsiloj, memoraj helpiloj, iloj kaj metodoj por pli rapide lerni Tokiponon kaj aliajn lingvojn
janAetherStar

Can someone 'teach' me tp conversation?

Post by janAetherStar »

Hi all, so basically I know toki pona but I've never used it in conversation! I have some skype friends that speak it but I can't summon the guts to press the 'call' button because I generally suck at conversation, and have never had a toki pona convo before. I just think that there might be too many awkward silences or I might misinterpret something if I can't get a whole picture of the sentence. Is there someone out there who can 'teach' me conversation in toki pona? As in, be willing to hold a tp convo with me (might be a little slow) and have some topics to talk about as well, and not mind if I fail sometimes? It would probably help my general English too since I'm not often a social person and don't have any 'super skills' in interacting with people. Thanks all candidates! By the way, my Skype name is marie.elliott9009nz and I kinda run on UTC/GMT +12 hours.
ale li pona. :)
sina o sona e ni.
janSilipu

Re: Can someone 'teach' me tp conversation?

Post by janSilipu »

Not many (any?) of us have experience talking in tp. I have had a couple of brief exchanges at meetings, neither very satisfactory, but my face to face exchanges rarely are. More of us (not me) have irc experience, which at least calls for relatively rapid responses and so is a good training for conversation. But typing is very different from talking, so it may not help at all. I have Skype but have never used it and don't remember my address.
Utc +12 sounds like Australia, but I can never figure these things out (how that differs from -12, for example ).
janMato

Post by janMato »

At anyone point in time, toki ponists are evenly distributed across all time zones.

You might want to use Doodle or the like to increase the odds of everyone being able to show up at the same time:

http://readwrite.com/2009/09/04/the-top ... zfpAgT82vL

I've never tried to speak/listen to toki pona in real time -- if it is as hard to listen to as it is to read, you might want to post the topic & suggested canned phrases-- here is a website that does that for English: http://iteslj.org/questions/
Kuti

Post by Kuti »

We did speak toki pona on Skype time to time, but it was never planned, just spontaneous