Does gender give different meaning?

Language learning: How to speak Toki Pona, translation problems, advice, memory aids, tools and methods to learn Toki Pona and other languages faster
Lingva lernado: Kiel paroli Tokiponon, tradukproblemoj, konsiloj, memoraj helpiloj, iloj kaj metodoj por pli rapide lerni Tokiponon kaj aliajn lingvojn
janEwiku

Does gender give different meaning?

Post by janEwiku »

I figured: jan lili is a child, but, somehow, meli lili sounds like 'young woman', and jan lili meli would then be a 'little girl'. Just wandering is my reasoning right

Also, jan sama is a brother/sister but if you want to specify the gender, would you say (eg for sister) meli sama or jan sama meli? Does including the gender in 'meli sama' changes the meaning?
janSilipu

Re: Does gender give different meaning?

Post by janSilipu »

At an obvious level, it changes the meaning by being more specific: feminine rather than unspecified. But I think you are pursuing a subtler point. Perhaps it is about word order, perhaps about what is said am left unsaid, perhaps it is about the strength of idioms. That 'jan lili meli' means "girl" is testimony to the strength of 'jan lili' as an idiom for "child". On the other hand, 'jan meli lili' seems to mean "young woman", since 'jan meli' clearly means "woman". Similarly, 'jan sama meli' is clearly "sister", while 'jan meli sama' is less obvious, maybe some other female relative. I think the same happens with 'mije' in place of 'meli'. What the effect of dropping the 'jan' is, is also unclear. I tend to supply it unconsciously, I think.
janEwiku

Post by janEwiku »

thanks for the reply :)
i'm once again amazed how toki pona can differentiate these subtle changes of meaning :D
janSilipu

Post by janSilipu »

We're getting good at being tricky.
janMato

Post by janMato »

also since gender isn't grammatical and by the spec it isn't a metaphysical obsession, mentioning gender is a little bit emphatic.

This is like someone who has a mother tongue that recognizes a dual number being meticulous and always saying "Do you two want to come along?" So mentioning gender, especially in pronoun phrases, would imply the same sort of emphasis that a fluent English speaker would see if he were to hear "You two", or "you sir" or "y'all" instead of just you.