Letter names

Language learning: How to speak Toki Pona, translation problems, advice, memory aids, tools and methods to learn Toki Pona and other languages faster
Lingva lernado: Kiel paroli Tokiponon, tradukproblemoj, konsiloj, memoraj helpiloj, iloj kaj metodoj por pli rapide lerni Tokiponon kaj aliajn lingvojn
janKalepa

Letter names

Post by janKalepa »

Is there (or, maybe it's a good proposal for future) a names for letters? It may be useful. We can't, for example, call tokipona ABS - Aei, because it's not a word. We also can't read (having no names for letters) a text:

ona li sitelen e nimi 'B'.

"nimi bi", like in English, or "nimi beta" or "nimi be"(Slavic)?

Maybe, justa simplest scheme: an, en, in.... bi, ti, ni ... But understandable, known, and used by everyone. Of - there is a such system?
janKipo

Re: Letter names

Post by janKipo »

But there is no tp 'b', etc. so the problem is to find names for letters for which we don't have sounds. While we're at it, we need names for numerals as well, even if we can start with 'ala, wan tu' (which we probably shouldn't). There are a couple of attempts on both these projects back in the archives somewhere. Of course, the results would be proper names and we have no word for "letter" for them to attach to either.
Kuti

Post by Kuti »

janKipo

Post by janKipo »

But there is also an unofficial and more complete list or two in the pile at the bottom of the index page.

(Just notice your epigraph: dubious; sexual excitement is not a feature of Lojbanists.)
Kuti

Post by Kuti »

I can't find the longer version

( that makes it more funny :mrgreen: )
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

(Ah! good point!)
Not in the archive at all, but in Crazy People who want to change tp, search for "letters and Numerals" (or maybe the other way 'round) It's mine, alas; I thought someone else had stuck one in and I was replying.
janKalepa

Post by janKalepa »

tooo elaborate.... i'd prefer somethind deadly simple...
janKipo

Post by janKipo »

But deadly simple doesn't work: there are too many letters and too few sounds, hence the complexities. Well, some complexities; these are from personal quirks -- mine or Sonja's.